Dust off a forgotten foreign tongue, debate the best ways to learn another language, pick up some slang in the local lingo, discuss regional dialects. The subforums are archives of older resource threads.

Have you used Fluenz to learn Spanish?

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 5th, 2010
Before I shell out $325 for this program, has anyone had any personal experience with it?

http://www.fluenz.com

Some comments I read on Amazon said it was much better than Rosetta Stone. I'm trying to learn Spanish in the next 3 months for upcoming travels within South America. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

Lars1607

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2010
I bit the bullet and bought it, and it's awesome. I'm a visual and logical learner, so it's invaluable for me that concepts and rules are explained, supported by animation on the screen. The exercises at the end of each lesson are great too, because they make you transfer and use what you just learned. Instead of just repeating phrases heard in the lecture, it makes you construct new sentences, as you would in a real life situation.

The downsides are some technical issues with video quality/delays on my laptop, and having to have the DVD in the drive to run the program (for copy protection reasons). I think in the latest version they changed that so that you can copy it to the hard disk and only need to insert the DVD on every third or fourth start. Which still means you pretty much need to carry the DVD with you when you travel.
Also, all the lessons follow pretty much the same structure and have the same type of exercises, which can get a little boring. But it's the only DIY learning solution that kept me motivated for longer than a week.

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2010
Thanks for the feedback Lars! Just wanted to provide an update that I got the Spanish edition of Fluenz and so far, it has been extremely helpful! Love the interactive exercises where you type in phrases you just learned and also record yourself/play back to make sure you have the correct pronunciation. If anyone's wanting to learn a language in a short amount of time, I highly recommend Fluenz.
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

Return to In Other Words + More Resources