If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Having a relationship with someone from another country.

IloveAfrica

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 18th, 2010
Hi I am wondering whether there are lots of us who ended up having a relationship with a partner from one of the countries we visited or lived in for a while. I had relationships with women when in France, Greece, India and Morroco whilst visiting, and then ended up marrying a woman from Botswana(still together with two lovely kids)_. Whilst backpacking also had a few flings with other backpackers from different countries. I found that I enjoyed spending time with a partner from another country as there were lots of differences to discover as well as languages to learn. Its not that I don''t like Women from the UK my home country but i found them a little too predictable and I like the journey of discovering differences. Anyway I have now been in a relationship with my wife for 11 years and still very much love being with her although we pretty much know each other inside out by now. I also think its great for our kids as they are bilingual and benefit from the good things from two cultures rather than suffer everything from one. Are there any other similar people out there and has it worked out or was it a disaster in the end? Look forward to hearing about your successes and nightmares. Jason.

El Viajero

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2010
I'm from the states and had a girlfriend in Honduras that i had a fling with and even visited again some years later. I nearly married a Mexican schoolteacher in Oaxaca. I also had a very short-fling with a very sweet English girl while working over in Europe some time ago. Truth be told, these women were the most memorable parts of my trips that I have taken. I had a great time with them and I have only good memories of them. Thankfully, I treated them well, because I appreciated and respected them so much. I look forward to more travels soon. I will make more friends and have the traveler"s fling if the situation calls for it.

untypical gringo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2011
i just celebrated my 15th anniversary with a woman i met on a 2 week vacation. of course we've had our ups and downs, just like any traditional marriage, but two kids and several countries later we're still going strong. i actually couldn't fathom the boredom of a relationship with someone from my own culture/background.

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
While living in Switzerland I had relationships with men from France, Switzerland and The Netherlands. While living in Mexico I've been involved with 2 Mexican men, one of whom I married last month.

Intercultural relationships can have unique challenges but they can also have unique rewards. Like others, I'm not averse to dating American men but I've always enjoyed a more international flair. :)
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
Hi Jason, like you I am from the UK and had only had British gf's before I went travelling. I loved spending time with women on the road from different countries (I'm not going to list the nationalities at the risk of sounding like a man whore).

I met my amazing wife Melisa, who is from Finland, on New Years day in 2002 in Had Rin, Koh Phangan and we have travelled and worked around the world extensively and got married in Fiji in 2004. We live in New Zealand now and have two beautiful daughters. We are looking forward to our next trip around SE Asia in a couple of months.

I love my wife after nearly ten years, just as strongly as when we first met. I think having a partner from a different culture, can mean that you make more of an effort in the relationship.

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

Return to Living Abroad