What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Healthy budget eating on the road?

Tamerlane

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 1st, 2009
Hello everyone, in about two weeks I am leaving for a month in France. I'll be traveling very cheaply, ala tent and sleeping bag, and will be on a tight budget. Don't yet know how tight, but tight. I will have a small alcohol stove with me and will be preparing alot of my food on the road, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions for cheap but healthy(and it would be great if it tasted good as well) food that I could prepare? I'm certainly going to go the rice and beans route, but would want a bit more variety than that... Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2009
We did similar with one burner. We had cauliflower cheese - you can buy cheese sauce. Also the usual supernoodles - but we made noodle soup with it and cracked an egg in it for difference - take some hot or soy sauce. Also savoury rice - sometimes we put that in the noodles mix too!
We were in Australia and there were free barbie areas at every picnic area and beach side so we used to use those for sausages and fish fingers. Can you do toast on your burner - we could on ours it had an adapter rack - then theres lots of things on toast you can have. We also had lots of pasta type dishes - where you can pour the jar sauce straight over the cooked pasta and stir in! And all sorts of veggie stir fries.
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2009
I'm sure you will find wonderful food in France. The markets are full of cheeses, fruits and vegetables that you could mix with your basic rice, noodles, beans etc. for great dishes. And you can have wonderful sandwiches with the breads there! Ahhh. Also they have great yogurt in France. And if you eat meat, the sausages are great too. I'm getting hungry just thinking about your trip.

I used to find healthy stuff from the outdoor markets to picnic from, and you can do so much more with a stove. I'm sure you'll eat well.

And if you do cafes some, they have great omelets for dinner too. And of course, you could make some of your own on your burner too.

keepitlow

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 8th, 2009
Just wondering. How did trip turn out? What did you end up cooking? How did your alcohol burner work out?

jameshardy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 27th, 2009
Foods plays major the role in all living thing's life.. Every living things including plants depends on it's food.. Humans are most conscious in what they are eating. But sometimes, we do not get healthy or good diets while traveling. So everyone will be confused while traveling or in outdoor.. www.mysafetravel.com provides the information of travel details, foods and accommodation and so on..

As We Travel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 2nd, 2010
Lentils are really cheap, and you can make so many different types of meals with them too!
Also, most things that can be bought in cans are also cheap.

I usually buy a lot of canned foods and make something of it. Like crushed tomatoes and beans, add some spices and eat with some bread or in a wrap. Perhaps some veggies too like frozen veggies :)

Delicous!

Paul79UF

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 22nd, 2010
Some of our favorite budget meals while traveling are oatmeal for breakfast, PB&J sandwiches (hikes/beach) for lunch on the go, and various rice & bean/lentil dishes for dinner.

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I second Lentils. A couple days ago I made a pot of lentil soup that made 6 servings, was full of fresh veggies and very healthy and cost less than $3. Cost will, of course, depend on your area but local veggies are generally cheap.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
When I was in France, I ate a lot of picnics since I didn't even have a stove. The outdoor markets there are wonderful and have lots of interesting cheeses and produce. I had a feast even with just breads, cheeses, fruits, and chocolate. With a stove you can incorporate the fresh vegetables. Yumm.

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2011
I can't go anywhere without beans and cheese. Lentils is great too. If I have access to a stove I will do grilled cheese, otherwise PBJs all the way. I try to get the best multi-grain bread I can find and usually have a bag of organic carrots at my side. They are the best veggie on the road... last a long time, don't wilt, and can't take various temperatures. I also usually have a bag of trail mix with different nuts and dried fruits and salt.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Return to Food & Travel