Dust off a forgotten foreign tongue, debate the best ways to learn another language, pick up some slang in the local lingo, discuss regional dialects... It's all about being multi-lingual, baby.

Help getting my hair cut auf Deutsch

Seat24A

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 3rd, 2010
Hi. I'm moving to Austria (can't wait!!) and I'm trying to brush up on the Deutsch I learned 20 years ago in high school.

I've got most of the basics down - ordering food, getting directions, etc - but one thing that none of the language books/courses discuss is how to get your hair cut. I know langer/kurzer, but I need a few more details...

What are the words for:

Layers? Example - I want more/less layers, or want it all one length (no layers).

Bangs(Fringe in the UK)? Example - I want to grow out my bangs out or want shorter bangs.

Any help is appreciated!

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
What about hand gestures? Even though you can't tell your hairdresser that you want bangs, I'm pretty sure that would be easy to mime.

Layers wouldn't be that easy, but not impossible.

I stumbled across a beauty school in London offering cheap haircuts when I was traveling. The girl who did my hair was from Eastern Europe and her accent, not to mention her English was terrible. I mimed out layers and she gave me one of the best haircuts of my life!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

karen121

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2010
I studied German in university but of course we spent our time reading Faust instead of practical everyday things! Now that I live here I've picked up the more useful vocab.

Layers are 'Stufen' or a 'Stufenschnitt' it literally means steps.

A fringe is a 'Pony' (misleading I know, I assumed it meant pony tail at first.)

This website could be useful for you http://www.dict.cc/ its the best German dictionary website I've found.

Seat24A

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 17th, 2010
Thanks. That's really helpful. I'm never sure when I look something up in the dictionary if I'm really using the right word or using it in the right context.

I'll try this out next week when I get my hair done. Most people I've spoken with so far have been pretty patient with my mix of German/English/charades, and they seem to understand me so I'm feeling a little more confident. (Although it has mostly been shopkeepers so they are probably just hoping I'll buy something!)

Haidenai

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2010
another good site is dict.leo.org. There they also have forums where people discuss ambivalent translations. Its really good imho...
Good luck at the hairdressers!

Seat24A

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2011
Thanks to everyone - "weniger Stufen" for less layers and a few "Strähnchen" for highlights were key words. I got a great 'do and also learned how to make an appointment (Termin) for next time.

Return to In Other Words