Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Help! need bucket list ideas for next trip

truenomads

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: bucket list ideas, round the world trip
  • Added on: January 23rd, 2013
Hello fellow travelers! Right now I am in Estonia and planning a round the world trip. I have a pretty good bucket list that I want to work on, but I need more ideas! check out my list on my new blog, and please tell me what I'm missing! I could use all of the ideas of places to go that I can get. Thanks!

foodtravelandlife

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2013
Norway to see the Northern Lights? Rio to dance in the carnival? Valencia for the tomatina? Running of the bulls in Pamplona? so many things on my bucket list too!
Love food, love travel, love life!
http://www.foodtravelandlife.com

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2013
MY BUCKET LIST WAS

snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef
Walk the Great Wall of China
See the Terracotta Warriors
Travel the southern coast of China
Visit the Bridge over the river Kwai
Take a train from Shanghai to Hong Kong
Travel coast to coast in the USA
Camp in Yellowstone NP
Travel coast to coast in Canada
Visit the Galapagos islands
Island hop in the Caribbean
Walk on Miami beach Florida
Back pack around the world for 12 months
Spend 4 months traveling around Europe
Visit the game reserves and NP in East Africa
Nile Cruise visiting all the ancient sites
Visit the Valley of the Kings and Queens in Egypt
Visit the Cairo museum, to see Tutamkhamun relics
Learn how to sail a dinghy
THESE ARE THE THINGS I'VE DONE FROM MY LIST SINCE RETIRING

PLACES STILL TO SEE
Rio at carnival time
Machu Picchu
Russia - Saint Petersburg and Moscow
Japan

Gavin_Harvey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2013
Your bucket list of ideas is inspiring me to make my own now!

I spotted Halong Bay on your list and I'd definitely recommend going on a 2 night cruise (rather than the seemingly more popular one night) as the trip from Hanoi is so long that it's nice to have a rest. It's also relatively cheap and was one of the highlights of my trip to SE Asia.

In terms of Europe bucket list ideas, here are a few of my suggestions:
*Budapest - Cruise the Danube
*Paris - Go up the Eiffel tower at night
*Berlin - See the Berlin Wall
*Edinburgh - Visit Edinburgh in the snow
*Prague - See the astronomical clock in Old Town

trappedintime456

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2013
What a great idea this is. I really like it. I think that all the ones on your list are great. I would recommend that you also see some of the great castles of Europe as well. I have been to many of them and they were fabulous. I also feel that you should see Dachau, as it is great for history. and do not forget to see Munich and go to the Marienplatz. This is very nice for all ages as there is shopping for everyone here.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2013
I don't believe in the concept of "bucket lists," since
1 - I'm constantly hearing of new things I'd like to do, and my interests are constantly changing over time.
2 - The best things in life (and in travel) are almost never what I expected them to be.

I note that most entries in your list involve "see [insert famous site or geological feature here]." I think this is the wrong approach, since seeing things very quickly becomes boring. Goals like "attend a ceilidh" is likely going to be more rewarding than "see the cliffs of moher." Have tea with a Bedouin family. Sleep in a yurt on the Mongolian steppe. Bike down the side of a volcano. The goal that you had and caught my imagination was "Canoe the Palawan underground river in Philippines." That sounds like fun.

I love traveling, but the more I do it, the more I find that the destination has doesn't matter as much as I used to think it did. What matters is seeing and doing something different than anything you've seen or experienced at home, and putting yourself out there and open to encounters that you don't expect. The highlights of things to see is a good tool for planning a route, but make sure to avoid just popping in and snapping a photo...spend some time getting there, and then see what else there is to see and do in the area.

Wanderled

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2013
I noticed that some of the places you want to visit don't even look real. There is a site I once stumbled upon that has 25 places in the world that don't look real but actually are (see if you can find the list online). The Stone Forest in China and Socotra were definitely on there. I would also suggest Chand Baori in Abhaneri, India and Zhangye, China. There is also the Tunnel of Love in Kleven, Ukraine that you might be nearby if you are currently in Estonia and plan on traveling in that direction. Look those places up on the web - they really are fantastic! Otherwise, with all of this incredible traveling, why not add staying at an igloo or underwater hotel?! Enjoy your adventures!

Gavin_Harvey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 4th, 2013
Wanderled wrote:I noticed that some of the places you want to visit don't even look real. There is a site I once stumbled upon that has 25 places in the world that don't look real but actually are (see if you can find the list online). The Stone Forest in China and Socotra were definitely on there. I would also suggest Chand Baori in Abhaneri, India and Zhangye, China. There is also the Tunnel of Love in Kleven, Ukraine that you might be nearby if you are currently in Estonia and plan on traveling in that direction. Look those places up on the web - they really are fantastic! Otherwise, with all of this incredible traveling, why not add staying at an igloo or underwater hotel?! Enjoy your adventures!

Wow that stone forest looks crazy! I've never even heard of Chand Baori before and it looks incredible. In fact I've just gone and googled every one of your suggestions and they all look incredible. Desperately want to start planning another trip around the globe!

MrPlow42

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2013
What do I 'Hope I try before get old?' (with apologies to The Who). Until a few years ago I'd never written down a bucket list, either as things to do or things done. I spent most of my life collecting experiences and always knew what the top items on the unwritten list were. Finally wrote it down to see what, if any, I can still do, given present finances, location and fitness. Here are the uncompleted travel related ones.

- Post images to photo critique sites, repeat until I stop learning.
- Travel through Latin America and turn my passable Spanish into conversational Spanish. Do everything else on my Latin America To Do list.
- Carnival in Aruba (2nd best to Brazil but not as dangerous - or crowded).
- Watch Samba School 'tests' on the weekends preceding Carnival in Rio
- Chill out in a Dutch hash bar. Leave the country before I first realize that I need to go to a hash bar. (No, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not).
- Take at least one flight lesson in a powered plane.
- Vacation on a converted barge in the European low countries. The appeal is that the barge keeps moving. Get off during the day then use foot, bike or public transit to catch up and get back on.
- Eat my way through Italy, from south to north, timing it so the first crops of spring are available as I reach each new region. Return home NOT looking like the Michelin man.
- Learn 200 words in Vietnamese, buy a motorbike in HCMC, sell it in Hanoi.

Things I've done that I recommend highly:
- Tandem flight in a hang glider.
- Keep watch for places that would look awesome in the light of sunrise. Return the next morning before sunrise. There are smartphone apps for photographers that show where the sun will rise.
- Figure out where a region's tourist trail is, e.g., the so-called 'Banana Pancake' route through SE asia, then figure out how to collect much of the same experiences & see the same sights as those on the trail without sleeping in the same tourist ghettos.

Return to Europe Travel