Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

help with rough itinerary.

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: planning, order, itinerary.
  • Added on: March 27th, 2013
my itinerary is currently like this

Paris 10 days may 2nd - may 11th BOOKED (arrival-stay departure)
London 10 days may 11th - may 20th BOOKED (arrival-stay)
---
Belfast 4 to 7 days between june 8th to june 17th (Game of Thrones exhibition) (not booked but i really wanna do this one)
---
Graspop 5 days june 27th to july 1st (Graspop Metal meeting) (not booked so it can be scrapped if it just won't fit)
---

to slot in between i have

Italy for 10 to 15 days for 2 or 3 cities
Istanbul for around a week
Amsterdam for 4 days to a week
Edinburgh for 4 days to a week
Budapest for 4 days to a week
Vienna for 4 days to a week
Prague for 4 days
Krakow for 4 days

how important is it for destinations to be close together?
is it a problem that i want to keep coming back to western europe?

please help me figure out the order, if it's absolutely necessary, Belfast can be exchanged for Amsterdam as the exhibit will be there from May 19th to may 27th. Although Game Of Thrones is a Northern-Irish production so i'd prefer to see it there.

I hope the answer is that distance is not as relevant. That would kinda give more flexibility to the planning.

PS: i realize i should've kinda thought about the order before booking the first legs but London with connection in Paris was the cheaper destination from mexico and it cost the same to stop in Paris for 2 hours or 10 days, so i decided to make Paris and London my first 2 destinations. They were gonna be my rest stops which is why i gave them so much time, but now i think of them as easing into the traveling.

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

"how important is it for destinations to be close together?
is it a problem that i want to keep coming back to western europe?"

The answer to those questions really depends on your budget. You'll potentially be spending a lot of money on flights. The biggest challenge, as you probably know, is fitting in the Game of Thrones exhibition. Do you have a ticket to return to Mexico? If so, what date is it? And from what city? That will help with giving you input.

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I don't have the flight back yet, and money is not that big a problem. Let's just say with the mistakes i've already made (not booking london to match belfast namely) what is the least moneyspilling strategy if i wanna fit both the GOT exhibit in belfast and the Graspop fest. And how different (money-wise) it would be if i forget about belfast altogether and after london i spend a few days in edinburg then catch the last few days of the exhibition in amsterdam and then continue on with the trip more organically

Edit: i'm starting to see how this would require more research to answer, since not all destinations are available on ryanair and easyjet from specific cities, so i wanna just add that just suggestions on the order will suffice i will deal with the research. :)

Edit 2: i didn't wanna believe i had botched the whole thing so easily, now i'm starting to freak out. I hope someone replies soon. I mean if the only complication is money, just please tell me a guess of how different it would be to try to accomodate these things. No research just an estimate considering how expensive a 10 week trip is. Will my trip be 5% more expensive for trying to accomodate these things or will it be more like 30% more expensive. I could live with a trip that is 15% more expensive.

EMH

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2013
Honestly, this seems a bit like a calculus problem and I don't do calculus. :D So I'm going to give you some general advice that hopefully will be helpful:

1) You clearly want to see the GOT exhibition and go to Graspop. So make sure you find a way to fit them in no matter what! Otherwise you'll regret not going.

2) Unless you have other reasons to go to Belfast, I'd drop Belfast and see the GOT exhibition in Amsterdam. You could then head to Edinburgh after London (if you haven't paid for your London accommodation yet, you could swap out a few days in London for a few more days in Edinburgh). After Edinburgh, head to Amsterdam and catch the GOT exhibition on its final few days.

3) Your biggest challenge, in my opinion, will be fitting in the Graspop festival. Again, I'm not saying to drop it, just that I see that as a bigger challenge than fitting in GOT.

4) I wouldn't worry too much about the least "moneyspilling" route. There's no way to know this far in advance what plane ticket prices are going to be. I'd focus more on minimizing your travel distances. Also, be aware that there are other low-cost carrier in Europe besides Ryanair and Easyjet. Just make sure you read the fine print before buying anything. Many of them offer cheap fares but then hit you with lots of high fees for other things (eg baggage).

5) Do some research ahead of time to see what cities offer cheap flights back to Mexico. That way you'll have a sense of where you'll want to end your trip (which will help with planning your route.)

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thank you, this is exactly why i asked. The thing is i don't hava a budget i'm prepared to spend as much as it takes but still i wouldn't want it to get out of control on whims or "damage control" XD.
But yeah, i thought about it some more and i'm now totally okay with seeing the exhibition in amsterdam. Graspop was never all that serious, just a chance to see various bands i handn't see live before but i can see bands closer to home when they come anyways.

So, here's my revamped itinerary. I have paid for london, and also i wouldn't take away from it, i plan to make like 3 or 4 daytrips from there XD

Paris 10 days may 2nd - may 11th BOOKED (arrival-stay departure)
London 10 days may 11th - may 20th BOOKED (arrival-stay)
Edinburgh may 20th - may 25th
Amsterdam may 25th - may 30th
Berlin 4 days
Prague 4 days
Vienna 7 days
Budapest 5 days
Krakow 5 days
Lviv 5 days
Istanbul 7 days
Italy 14 days

So now it's more like tips on travelings between them. Like maybe it is known that there isn't a direct route between two of these or rhe would be a better approach for pra vie bud kra & lviv.

Oh one more thing. I'm putting lviv because it's close to the cluster of central europe cities. But i like Kiev's architecture as much more of a change from other cities. So i'm wondering if Kiev fits better than lviv on the grounds of going to istanbul afterwards XD.
Last edited by DaveHz on March 28th, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Your route Prague -> Vienna -> Budapest -> Krakow sounds good. I'm pretty familiar with that area. Getting from Vienna is easy, it's a 3-hour train or a bus to Budapest.

I do want to ask though, is there specific reason you want to stay in Vienna for a full week? You are going to get incredibly bored. Vienna is pretty, but it's a sightseeing city, and once you've seen the big things (3 days MAX) you should go to Budapest!

Budapest is a thousand million bajillion times better than Vienna. Spend a week there instead! Plus in the summer it's amazing...outdoor Turkish baths, Margit island, the kert bars...I visited for three days in 2009 and ended up moving there for two years. It's an amazing city.

From Budapest, Krakow is a bit of a trek. If you take a train they do have overnighters which might be a good option, or you can try to get a cheap bus, which will take..I'm trying to remember...5-6ish hours? For an alternative to train travel in that region, you can check out Orangeways or Volanbusz bus services.

Hope this helped and if you are interested in learning anything more about things to do in Budapest, feel free to ask!
Visit me at my internet space. http://narcissisticvagabond.com

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thank you so much, i was recommended vienna and budapest alike but so far i had heard more from vienna, ima definitely switch their days then. I feel i'm gonna appreciate the baths to break up the trip. Plus with 5 days on vienna i still get the 3 days sightseeing and a daytrip to bratislava i was suggested.

Okay, at the end there i made a mistake i was wondering if kiev was more convinient than lviv (i kept writing lviv over and over, i fixed it now), on the grounds that i will then fly out to istanbul. Kiev looks like more of a change of architecture (in google images) which i like and i was wondering if it's worth exchanging lviv with kiev in my case.

EMH

Share on Orkut

I disagree completely with KnottyNikki re: Vienna vs. Budapest. I was seriously bored in Budapest after a few days. The bath's are nice but you're likely only going to go once and just for a few hours. Vienna's easily better. A lot better. Anyway, you can obviously decide once you get there how long you want to stay.

As for L'viv vs. Kiev, personally I prefer Kiev. But....a quick search on kayak.com shows that flights from L'viv to Istanbul are about $50 cheaper than flights from Kiev to Istanbul. (I just picked a random week in June). Plus, you'd likely have to fly from Krakow to get to Kiev. I doubt you'd want to take the train that far. They supposedly upgraded the trains last year in Ukraine due to Euro 2012 but they're still likely slower than trains in other parts of Europe. (and if I recall correctly they were running into some issues with the upgrades).

BTW, are you going to have any visa issues? Will you be traveling on your Mexican passport or do you have another passport?

Glad things are coming together for your trip!

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I'll give Lviv vs Kiev and Vienna vs Budspest a bit more thought XD

About passports, nope, i don't have any other, just my mexican passport, i have researched this matter though and i would only need visas for the Ukraine and Turkey. Which i'll check out before i leave preferably since mexicans are banned from getting the Turkish visa on arrival at the airport for example i'm afraid the ukraine could be a similar deal

EMH

Share on Orkut

Glad to hear that you don't need a visa for Europe! I'm living in Colombia right now and I now Colombian face a lot of travel restrictions. I'm happy to know that things are better for Mexican who want to travel.

Looks like you do need a visa for Ukraine unless you have a diplomatic passport. You might want to post over in the expat ukraine forum to see what you'd have to do to get a visa:

http://www.expatua.com/forum/index.php?board=60.0

Or inquire at the Ukranian consulate in Mexico.

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

thank you. I'm planning to do the latter for both visas and depending on the answer i may travel to mexico city a few days before my flight to get it all in order.

Random Thought: i hadn't even listed berlin in the beginning and did so later because it would make the perfect stop between Amsterdam and Prague, but boy am i excited about a Potsdam daytrip now XDD

EMH

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2013
Just curious....what part of Mexico are you from? I studied spanish in Guanajato in 2008 and also lived in Oaxaca for a few months (plus visited lots of other cities)

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2013
I'm from the southeast. Tabasco to be more precise, Jalpa de Mendez to be exact XD.
That's why i would still need to go to mexico city to catch my flight, and depending on what i would need to do for the visas and maybe depending on the availability of some friends too, i would go a for a couple to a few days before my flight

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2013
UPDATE: my previous rough itinerary would have been this.

Paris 10 days
London 10 days
Edinburgh 6 days
Amsterdam 6 days
Berlin 4 days
Prague 4 days
Vienna 7 days
Budapest 5 days
Krakow 5 days
Lviv 5 days
Istanbul 7 days
Italy 14 days

but it turns out for the Ukraine (Lviv) i would need a letter of invitation (because i'm Mexican), i have no way of getting one of those.

So i'm thinking

Paris 10 days
>fly to (already bought)>
London 10 days
Edinburgh 6 days
>ferry to the netherlands>
Amsterdam 6 days
Berlin 4 days
Prague 4 days
Krakow 5 days
Budapest 7 days
Vienna 7 days
Venice
rest of Italy
>ferry to>
Greece
Istanbul 7 days

I'm thinking of maybe Egipt after that because it seems so close to Turkey, the visa can be purchased at the airport and flights from Cairo to mexico cost sort of the same as istanbul-mexico (a tad cheaper actually). But the land route goes through Syria which is... well... in civil war. I've been googling ferries and the like but no luck. is my only option here a flight?

(sorry for making a RTW question in the Europe forum btw)

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2013
Another bummer, I can't visit Turkey because I'm unemployed

So my itinerary looks like this now

Paris 10 days
>fly to (already bought)>
London 10 days
Edinburgh 6 days
>ferry to the netherlands>
Amsterdam 6 days
Berlin 4 days
Prague 4 days
Krakow 5 days
Budapest 7 days
Vienna 7 days
Venice
rest of Italy
>ferry to>
Greece

Would you suggest any places with unusual/unique sights that would fit organically between spots after amsterdam?

Next

Return to Europe Travel