With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Hostel in Marrakech over NYE?

NStar6C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: morocco, marrakech
  • Added on: December 1st, 2010
Hi All,

My husband and I will be traveling in Morocco over New Years and are planning on being in Marrakech from the 31st-2nd.

1. Any recommendations of budget places to stay? (not dorms, but shared bath is fine with us)
2. How busy is going to be? We weren't planning on booking ahead, but would this be a mistake? If so, are we already in trouble or how far out should we book?

Thanks!

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2010
THere realyl aren't all that many in the way of "hostels" in Morocco. Most of the places you'll see listed on Hostelbookers et al will be the more tech-savvy of the riads. And really, if you're going to Morocco, you wnat ot be staying in a riad anyway - there are some truly beautiful ones around and they are so much nicer than a backpackers while often still offering plenty of communal spaces in which to meet other travellers.

I was in Morocco +/- 6 months ago and didn't pre-book any accom and never had any problem finding somewhere.
I'm not sure how much NYE is celebrated but I understand why you might to book ahead during this period so I'd just suggest getting on one of the hostel comparison sites (I believe this is even a function Boots provides..) and book one of the better rated places. Even if you chance your mind later, you'd probably only loose a couple of pounds worth of deposit.

Enjoy Morocco, it's a pretty cool place.

Return to Africa Travel