What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Hot Water

MountaineerWV

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 23rd, 2011
How hard is it to find hot potable water while on the road camping? Specifically North and South America. It seems like it should be easy...but I've never paid enough attention to gather evidence.

Cooking is much cheaper than eating out 2-3 times a day, but in the interest of weight I don't want to carry around a stove, a pot, utensils, fuel, etc.

A 2L thermos full of hot water will stay steaming hot for 14+ hours and there is loads of stuff you can make with it. Plus washing hands, shaving, and washing ones face is much more bearable with warm water.

Hot coffee in the morning, Oatmeal, soups, err...lots more I'm sure.

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2011
MountaineerWV wrote:... in the interest of weight I don't want to carry around a stove, a pot, utensils, fuel, etc.

... A 2L thermos full of hot water .

I may be wrong, but 2 liters of water will weigh about 2 kilos, far more than a stove, kit and fuel.

MountaineerWV

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2011
My mistake, I meant space. I'm on a motorcycle, so weight isn't a big issue.

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2011
In North America, potable water, hot and cold, is readily available.

Unfortunately, some Central and South American areas have some of the world's deadliest water. I would stick to food and drinks cooked for my immediate consumption. I would not trust water "heated" for me, to be used later.

Have you done deep research into this trip. In many areas of Central and South America, traveling by motorcycle, water may be the least of your health worries.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2011
Curt1591 wrote:In North America, potable water, hot and cold, is readily available.

Unfortunately, some Central and South American areas have some of the world's deadliest water. I would stick to food and drinks cooked for my immediate consumption. I would not trust water "heated" for me, to be used later.

Have you done deep research into this trip. In many areas of Central and South America, traveling by motorcycle, water may be the least of your health worries.

Water that has been boiled IS safe!!

Half the experience in traveling is eating street food.

Have met many traveling safely by motorcycle in Guatemala, El Salvador etc.

Suggest you do a bit of research before commenting, that way your advise may be valid!

To answer the OP's question, all hostels will have a bulk supply that you can fill your thermos with or water available to boil yourself in the kitchen. Also there are numerous American style fast food places in the cities. Getting safe water is not normally a problem.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:
Have met many traveling safely by motorcycle in Guatemala, El Salvador etc.

Suggest you do a bit of research before commenting, that way your advise may be valid!

[Now that I got that off my chest,] to answer the OP's question, all hostels will have a bulk supply that you can fill your thermos with or water available to boil yourself in the kitchen. Also there are numerous American style fast food places in the cities. Getting safe water is not normally a problem.

But I read ...

MountaineerWV wrote:
A 2L thermos full of hot water will stay steaming hot for 14+ hours and there is loads of stuff you can make with it. Plus washing hands, shaving, and washing ones face is much more bearable with warm water.

Hot coffee in the morning, Oatmeal, soups, err...lots more I'm sure.

Staying in most hostels, facilities aren't a problem. But, sounds like we just might have a camper here, ... no facilities. You might have simply suggested hostels for their facilities.

Water that is boiled, for a proper period, is safe. My impression is that he plans to "pick up" some "boiled" water. There is always a possibility that he could simply wind up with "heated" water, not even brought to a boil.

Staying in hostels will also bring a relative level of safety. But, once again, sounds like we just might have a camper here.

There are many accounts of Central and South American travel, some good, some bad. Personal friends, who have stuck to tourist areas, have had, for the most part, good experiences.

Assuming that he plans the entire trip overland, there are plenty of opportunities for disaster. I would suggest that he do quite a bit of research and not simply "head south" from the States.

One size doesn't fit all. Everyone's mileage will very. All tips, suggestions and stories are anecdotal.

I welcome discussion, comments and/or corrections. But, please don't talk down to me.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Central America is NOT Bangkok & FYI one does NOT camp in CA (the place with "the World's deadliest water")!

As I said giving information on areas you are not familiar with is NOT doing anyone a favor. Do your research!! :(
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I have to agree. You don't camp in Central America. It's not safe. There may be hostels where you can camp out back for a reduced price but the whole 'pulling over to the side of the road and tossing up a tent' will likely get you dead...or worse.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2011
There you have it!

MountaineerWV

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2011
Thanks for the response everyone. I think you all are right that trusting hot water that I have not boiled myself could lead to some bad experiences.

Instead, I bought one a small alcohol stove. It's fabricated by another motorcycle rider out of aluminum Budweiser bottles. Only about 2' tall and well....circumference of a beer bottle. 2 oz of rubbing alcohol lasts about 9 minutes and can bring a liter of water to boil. That with a 1L camping pot (I can fit the stove, fuel, and misc inside the pot) takes up minimal space.

I don't plan on camping (or at least much) in C.A. No worries about camping in N.A. or some places in S.A. - I don't mind paying for a room when it's economical. In the US...not so much.

www.advrider.com is a great resource for traveling. So much info on the Americas that it would take years to read it all.

Return to Food & Travel