If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

How Can I Live in Brazil (Brasil) For Two Years?

Ryan Brandle

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: long-term, rio, brasil, brazil, work visa, visa, work, living abroad, work abroad
  • Added on: January 18th, 2010
Quick background info for my question: My girlfriend got a job working at an international school in Rio, Brazil for two years. Her work visa, living arrangements, etc. is pretty much taken care of. I plan on moving there as well and living with her in her apartment.

What I know: (I am a US citizen) You can get a 5 year multi-entry, a 90 day or a 30 day tourist visa. I think the max amount of time you can stay is 180 consecutive days. Getting a work visa is more complicated. You need the tourist visa first, then you need to apply in Brazil for a work visa. You need to have an employer sponsor you for a work visa.

QUESTION:

Has anyone out there gone through this process? Is it possible to stay in Brazil for two years? Is it possible to hop over the border to another country, get another visa once time runs out and restart the 180 day period? Any insight is much appreciated.

My only plan right now is to get the 5 year multi-entry visa, stay in Brazil for as long as possible and hopefully find a job to employ me and sponsor me for a work visa, thus extending my time and earning enough to support me. If I do not get a work visa, I hope to hop across a border and renew my visa to re-enter Brazil for another 180 days and repeat when necessary.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 19th, 2010
Your plan is logical, and it makes sense.

Many people follow your route, and yes, it is hard to find an employer willing to go through the hassle of applying for working papers for someone. They have to really want you.
In and out every 6 months is doable. Just pop out, wait a day, and pop in.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Ryan Brandle

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 19th, 2010
Tortuga_traveller wrote:Your plan is logical, and it makes sense.

Many people follow your route, and yes, it is hard to find an employer willing to go through the hassle of applying for working papers for someone. They have to really want you.
In and out every 6 months is doable. Just pop out, wait a day, and pop in.

@Tortuga Thanks for your quick reply! Your information is very helpful. Do you know someone who has done this? I would love to contact them. I am worried that after I complete 180 days, I'll have to wait a year until I can get another 180 days. I am not sure if they only let you in for 180 days per year. Also, I would probably have to re-issue my visa in another country which could take up to a week. Thanks again!

Chelovek

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2010
Look on the consulate/embassy's website; the entry restrictions will be listed there somewhere, and if not you can e-mail and ask explicitly.

You should also look into schooling there. I got a study visa to Russia and it was painless, so I would imagine it's equally painless (and very cheap) in Brazil. Find a university, look for a Portuguese language program for foreigners, and it'll be standard for them to get your student visa papers. Maybe you could do that for a year to become fluent in Portuguese, and then you'd have a much easier time getting work.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2010
Look into a language study program in Brazil. You're unlikely to get a job offer without Portuguese language skills. Once you can falar, have fun with the Brazilian bureaucracy.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2010
If I do not get a work visa, I hope to hop across a border and renew my visa to re-enter Brazil for another 180 days and repeat when necessary.

Some countries really don't care for this and some don't mind at all. I do not know what Brazil's stance is on this, though. I would recommend searching out an expat forum for Brazil or getting more detailed advice on the Thorntree if you end up going this route.

Typically, in the case where a country does care, you'll get away with it the first time but the second time you try it, well they quickly figure out you're living there and not just traveling there (even worse if you let them know you have a partner there). And then they're likely to ban you from any entry at all for a few years.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 18th, 2010
I think the five-year Brazil visa only allows 180 days of presence in a calendar year.

Return to Living Abroad