How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

How did you raise the $$$?

Katerina Urda

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: travel finance, money
  • Added on: December 1st, 2005
I really want to get out and get my adventure going. I've been meditating on how to get the money together but I am at a loss really. Loans, living expenses etc. are sucking any funds away from travel. What did you do? I need some advise!

Tracy Ann

Gotta love the GB

Share on Orkut

Surfing Dan and others have mentioned this before: Cut out ALL unnecessary expenses. Cell phone, eating out, buying lunch out, drinking etc.

I started bringing my lunch to work and MAN am I saving money. Also, if you happen to have Bank of America, I really like their keep the change program. You can also set up an automatic transfer to savings with them. I know for me, aside from the bills, if my bank acct has money in it, I spend it, but if it's not there then I don't miss it.

I also do my own version of "keep the change" at home. Whenever my wallet gets down to change and ones I dump it in a jar at home. Going to the ATM for a $1.35 coke is a pain, so I end up not buying it because the money isn't in my pocket and I save $1.35. Sounds small, but I end up saving a lot that way. Sometimes when I know there's good food in the house to bring for lunch I'll even throw the $5 or $10 bill that's in my wallet in the jar so I "have" to bring lunch because I "have no money." Sounds stupid, but once the money goes in that jar my conscience usually keeps me from taking it out Smile

Just some thoughts!

Sika

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

haha that sounds like what I do, Tracy Ann. Once the money's in the don't touch jar-account, it only comes out if there's a hole in somebody's lung.
http://alarana.net

Aarlev

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I've started bringing my own lunch to work aswell and it really saves you some money. Also if you're a smoker, start smoking rollies. Instead of going out to clubs and pubs buy some cheap booze and drink at home with some friends or have a party in your place cause then people are going to bring loads of drinks and when they get drunk they will insist on you having some of it Smile.

I actually prefer to drink at home with a few mates cause you can have a conversation with people you like without having to shout because the music is too loud or too bad. Don't buy new clothes or any other material things, cook your own food everyday and get addicted to a few TV series Smile.

colinm

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Sell you friends to the Afghans as drug mules!

LondonCard2

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 2nd, 2005
I guess I've done it the unconventional way...which wont really be much help to you...

I wound up selling my flat in London in oreder to fund some travels. It took me a long time to work up teh courage to sell up, quit my job, leave my life there behind and say to hell with it, I'm going! There were other reasons for leaving as well but travel was the one that made me go through with it in the end.

I was lucky enough to have made a little money on my flat which has gone straight into savings accounts and after my journies round Europe has (and will) stay firmly locked up until I go off rtw next year.

So...it sucks to not have my own space at the moment and working again to help build a few extra ££ into the fund. Tracy Ann has the right idea with those packed lunches....you can save a hell of a lot that way!

Maybe you could look into a work/travel idea. Try and get a working visa for somewhere and try working for x months the travel for x months. I've met a lot of people on my travels doing just that and it seems to sustain them pretty well.

Rach_uk

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Well I've finihed University and have moved back in with my parents to help save money for travelling. Ok, not the most ideal solution, but I pay less rent than it would normally cost and as I'm not home much anyway it's ok for the short term.

Also look into getting a second job. If you can't work evenings after work, look at a weekend job.

The same is just

Lost76

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

I think the hard thing is staying motivated. Its hard to have to say no a lot to fun things you'd like to do - weekends away, meals out with friends, etc etc. I was in the same situation as you where my debt were reducing any possibility of saving to zero - so i put myself on a financial "diet", allowing x amount for 'fun' and then just bills, rent etc. I got out x amount every week from a cash machine, and that was my set amount for the week that i was allowed to spend on whatever i wanted.

I set up a spreadsheet at work to fill in everything I spent - interestingly, everyone thought it was hilarous at first, as its not really a very 'me' thing to do, but i notice its caught on and there are various people inputting their weekly spendings now....

I've mamanged to clear my credit card bedt etc now, and am on to saving properly, which is so much more fun and motivating. It feels good to have got this far!!

Good luck!

victw

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

If you want some motivation read the book "Your Money or Your Life."

Bottom line though is you have to spend less than you make.

If you are making less than you spend you can either get a better pay job, work more or spend less.

Bottom line is that if you make this work it's a lifetime thing not just about the next trip.

You might also do a search - I think this one has been discussed before.

Vic

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

One good way to get some extra cash is to inventory the skills that you have and see if there might be a way to market them beyond your regular form of income. Maybe you have an eye for editing...or math...or some language skills. Offer your skills as a tutor for these subjects.

Become a jack of all trades...walk dogs, use your green thumb, housesit, babysit, etc. All of these things you can do in a few extra hours each week and the funds that you make go right into your savings for your trip.

Anytime that you are able to keep yourself from spending money, put that money into your fund. Say you really want to have that latte. But you convince yourself that you would rather spend that on bread and cheese in France. Take the amount that you have 'saved' and put it into your travel fund.

And yes, cut out all the extras. Have cable tv? Cancel it. Just got a renewal notice on your magazine subscription? Don't renew. Is there a great sale on sweaters at the mall? Be happy with the ones that you already have.

At first, it is difficult to save. We are so easily tempted to 'just go out to lunch' or 'just have a few beers at the bar with pals on a Friday night' because it is right now. It is difficult for our brains to put off that gratification. But if you can remain focused on your big goal, going on that great trip, you will soon make a habit of saving for it in little ways every day. You will become a savings detective, finding all sorts of little places in your life where you can save money.

Put up motivators where they will remind you of your goal. Want to see the Taj Mahal? Put a picture of it on your fridge. Want to sail the islands in Greece? Put a photo of that on your dresser. Everywhere you look, you will be reminded of what you want and you will be more determined to save to reach that goal.

Good luck! You can do it!

clockwise

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I'm doing it by ESLing in Korea. I can save enough in a year to travel for a year. More experienced travellers (who can do it cheaper) could probably put together enough for a year in six months.

Besides that, though, I've become quite adept at saving cash. The same day-to-day stuff that has been cited here works in Korea, too.

The other bonus is that I don't have to pay for an airline ticket across an ocean to begin my RTW trek when I finish my contract here.

jessielynn

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I agree with all these great posts! One thing that helped me a great deal was tutoring at a local communtiy center (unpaid)
So I am teaching Esl and finding ways to contribute time to a cause and fill up those extra hours that I may be tempted to go out and spend money.. I like to put the money I save into a savings account, and then distribute the rest into my "fun" money. When that money runs out, well some nights you just have to sit at home Razz, that also offers a good chance to study language of the areas in which you will be visiting.. Oh, if you live in a bigger city, I have done some marketing research that pays big bucks for a few hours of opinions try craigslist. happy saving!! jessica

**amazingJulesVerne**
in your profile are you a Potter? or Plotter? just curious.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/jessielynn/

Keppie

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

I am able to have my paycheck directly deposited into two accounts: 85% to checking for day to day and 15% to savings for a big adventure. I am lucky in that my employer will do this and I can easily change the percentages if need be.
------------------------------------------
"He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch."
-Jean Luc Godard

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

" **amazingJulesVerne**
in your profile are you a Potter? or Plotter? just curious. "

That would be plotter. Potter....well, that would be just shy of a disaster. Or the Leaning Tower of Pisa...

Bunglegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 3rd, 2005
I lived with my parents for 5 years while working 50-70 hours /week. Yeah, not fun, but I saved a ton.

Next

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit