A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

How Do You Remember Your Trips?

backlasher

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 27th, 2011
I'm getting older each day and the aches and pains are piling up. I have arthritis in my lower back and one hip is painful if I walk too far. In other words, my trips are numbered. I keep journals of my trips and I have framed 8x10 pictures hanging all over my bathroom (my wife has her own and company uses it). What do you do to remember your trips? The day is coming when all I can do is remember what different places were like so what do you do to help you remember?
"There's more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than can ever be done."
Circle of Life - The Lion King

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

I have my blog & pictures, I also have a couple file boxes of brochures + odds & ends from trips along with my old passports.

Also have all my old train, plane (except for the few RTW tickets that Qantas stole when I was forced to change my itinerary as they refused to honor one of their segments), ferry tickets along with any bus tickets.

The plan is to put all these along with my plane boarding passes into a scrapbook.

Of course monitoring a couple travel forums helps as does being an expat. 8-)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

El Viajero

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

backlasher wrote:I'm getting older each day and the aches and pains are piling up. I have arthritis in my lower back and one hip is painful if I walk too far. In other words, my trips are numbered. I keep journals of my trips and I have framed 8x10 pictures hanging all over my bathroom (my wife has her own and company uses it). What do you do to remember your trips? The day is coming when all I can do is remember what different places were like so what do you do to help you remember?

You are suffering from chronic inflammation. You need more Omega 3 fatty acids (mega dose it) and capsaicin. Both of these are potent anti-inflammatory agents. Cayenne pepper is your best sourse of capsaicin. Put it in your food if you like spicy food. If not, it's available in pill form. Mega dose on fish oil for your omega 3's. Cod liver oil is your best bet. Avoid dairy and wheat products. Your inflammation will dissipate. Keep traveling my friend. Much love!!!

busman7

Share on Orkut

So there was a reason for all those cod-liver oil pills we were forced to take as kids.

TravellerSami

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2011
I keep the very special pictures. I wish I had kept nik-naks from various places. Priding myself in travelling light, I never thought to do that, always throwing them away at the airport etc, thinking I´ll be back anyway, but now I regret it.

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

You poor thing, sorry to hear you have aches and pain, there's not much we can do about it only just keep going.

I have hundreds of photographs on my computer and I look at them quite often it brings back the memories. Of course the journals I kept for all the different trips which I look at from time to time. I kept a website journal also of our 12 month trip and have a DVD showing a selection of photos the daily journal and messages from family and friends. I've also got camcorder recordings which I really need to get edited and I would if someone would show me how to do it.
Yes lots of things including maps postcards, purchases silk sleeping sheet from Vietnam, Chinese terracotta warrior figure from China, place mats from Africa, I've collected pebbles, shells, coral, fir cones from around the world.

busman7

Share on Orkut

Remember to back up your pictures in a couple different places. I always uploaded them every few days from my camera to my netbook & then to my Picasa albums.

When I changed my gmail account I also had to open a new picture account for Picasa, for a couple years there was no problem accessing the old pictures but when I tried a couple days ago I couldn't & my old netbook had died, fortunately I had transferred them to my laptop so I still have them but need to reupload them so others can see them.

I still have the original cards from the camera to as I never erased them, always bought new ones.

I had some pictures from the last few weeks of my bus business on my phone that I never got around to downloading to my computer. When I finally remembered them, I had a different phone, now some unique pics are lost forever.

Dustyshoes

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 29th, 2011
Some coins from there and there, some artifacts which remain -- generally I don't buy much, while overseas, but the orchid paper weight picked up from Thailand (or was it Singapore?) is still looking as bright and shiny!. I also used to pick up a pebble or a shell or even a rock as a solid reminder of the places I've visited. While moving cities I seem to have lost this collection. So it is pretty much the blogs, the photographs and of course the entire experience which shall always be remembered and cherished.
-----------------------------------
My blogs
The Writer's Cyberslate
Books on my shelves

zoomcharlieb

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 30th, 2011
I feel more aches and pains also, and it is hard at first to even bend down and tie my shoes, but as the day does on and as i take my walk, then trot up and down a bunch of stairs, i pretty soon have worked out the pain. Sometimes i will have some part of me that is sore and achy for a long time but I eventually exercise it away. The memory is only so good and the pictures don't bring it back like a new experience will. i suggest to keep moving somehow someway otherwise you will stiffen up and have to be wheeled around and have your diapers changed and the drool removed from your chin .... and you won't even remember your name.

backlasher

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 4th, 2011
Well, the bone Doc says I need a hip replacement. After the recovery time, I'll be able to walk without pain again. Nothing can be done about the back but it should be good for a few years. I'm not too thrilled that the hip is gone but glad they can do something about it.

zoomcharlieb

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 4th, 2011
My friend has had about 5 hip replacements, started out young getting them, he is in his late 60's and still gets around bow and arrow hunting for elk and bear, just makes me pack em out as it isn't good for his hip to have too much weight. Once, on his first hip replacement, he recovered with me up in ketchemak Bay moose hunitng, then over to Seldovia, goat and bear hunting, eventually for got where his crutch was - wounded a bear and had me go into the brush and finish it off -- what are freinds for. so get the hip replace and your back will get better also, with luck

backlasher

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 29th, 2011
I went to see the bone surgeon who'll do the hip replacement and he said I can get another year out of the hip. It's good living about 15 minutes from the Houston Medical Center. Anyway, he gave me some pills for the pain and suggested I start swimming for exercise. Since I won't travel again before April, I can see how it does and if I decide I need the new hip, I'll have time to recover before I fly. At least that's the plan for now. Thanks for the responses.

backlasher

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 1st, 2012
Update: I went to St. Luke's Hospital in the medical center, went to the X-ray dept. and got a steroid shot in my hip. They have to watch on a screen just where the needle goes and yes, it's painful but the next day I had no pain at all. The plan now is to get another shot (they wear off in about 3 months) in mid September before a trip to Italy in October. After Christmas, I'll have the hip replaced.

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 16th, 2012
I keep a daily journal, which includes the cost of accommodation and and expensive travel costs.

Thousands of still photographs kept on DVDs and my external hard drive

Camcorder recordings kept on mini tapes and external hard drive

For our 12 month RTW trip I kept a website going and have this and all the messages photos maps all on a DVD

Send postcards to relatives, they save them and give them to me for the memories box.

For the RTW trip my daughter bought us 2 leather bound albums and added the journal entries from my website and I still have to put in the photographs, I'll get there eventually.

You only need to look at a photograph to be transported back to that moment in time.

backlasher

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2013
Well, I had the hip replacement on December 28th and it's all better now. The first 2 weeks are pretty bad but after that progress is fast. I can walk very well now and a spring trip to Europe is being planned.

In addition to the 8x10 photos in my bathroom, I keep a journal of all my trips, printed pictures, pictures on my computer and a shutterfly book. The hospital people say they can give me a steroid shot in my back before our trip that will stop the pain in my lower back. With that and my new hip, I should be good for a few more years. Yea! Thanks for all your help.

Next

Return to Still Going...