How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

How far £6000 will take me?

mironakos

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 26th, 2011
Hey there

I've always wanted to travel but circumstances (loans,relationships etc) served as reasons to postpone my plans. I've just finished paying off my loan and came out of a two year relationship and i feel that i am at a point in my life ready to take the big step (am also no teenager - 32 years old in a weeks and half)..
So i half the option of getting voluntary redundancy at work possibly in a couple of months - that will more or less amount to £6000. What shall i do? take it and go away or stay back and try and save a little bit more?
Also how long will £6000 think will last me? My original plans were Russia/Mongolia/ China/Japan/Australia (staying with family) and then South America as a rough plan...how much money do you think i will need? And is it reasonable to think that between £6000-£8000 will be enough?

Looking forward to your replies guys -
Thanks
'Leave but don't leave me. Look around and choose your own ground, for long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.'

psykx

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2011
I plan to raise £6,000 before I go travelling. For four months in north India and four months in Argentina and Bolivia from what I've read that is going to be quite tight.

The best thing to do is to google the rough cost per month of the places you'd like to go and build a trip from there
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."
Albert Einstein

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2011
If you stay home and have to spend any significant amount of time finding a new job, you'll probably end up frittering away a good chunk of that £6k. Unfortunately, the pound has lost a lot of value, so I don't think it's enough to fund everything you want to do. But as spending money for a natural gap in your working life, I think you could go quite far - anywhere from 4-8 months depending on where you're heading and how you're traveling.

Russia, Japan and Australia are all pretty expensive. If you want to stretch it as far as possible, you might consider just hitting up Mongolia and China for a couple months, then heading for South America for the rest...probably 3 or 4 more months. It's not the 12 month RTW trip, but it's long enough to refresh your mind from the working day drag at home, and see a couple parts of the world at a comfortable pace.

roundrobyn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
use this website as a helpful tool: http://www.budgetyourtrip.com/

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit