How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

How I am funding my trip...

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 13th, 2007
While I commend your tenacity to save, I would never be able to do it that way. Call me crazy, but I like to enjoy my life while I am saving. Not going out with friends, saving every second of the day when I don't have to (i.e. am not in debt), looking down on people for eating differently than me...no thanks. I would rather sacrifice a little on both sides, and not completely on my home side.

I also don't like taking advantage of my parents as an adult unless I was in dire straights (sorry, I don't consider saving for a trip dire straights). Not only do I enjoy my freedom, but I feel that parents deserve some time to enjoy the fact that they've raised their children and now they get some time and money to themselves (even if they say they don't mind...).

Moving back in with my parents as an adult who is fully able to support myself (i.e. not sick/handicapped/etc.), to me, would be as appetizing as eating my own feces.

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I think that a big part of saving for a trip is what your willing to sacrifice while saving. This is personal, just the way that I feel the trip you want and take is personal. Not personal in the don't-tell way, but in the individual way. I don't think anyones way of going about it is better than another's, it's just different. I think that we should all be proud of how hard we worked (cause it is a lot of work) to save and prepare for our dream trips.

anniebanannie

Share on Orkut

I agree, there is sacrifice. My point was I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice my whole life at home. I save while still enjoying things here at home. I have to sacrifice as well... hell, I just bought a home in a crazy expensive city, saved for that and am saving to travel as well. I know from sacrifices on that front.

I guess I just didn't like the tone of the post, nor do I really accept moving back in with your parents as a total acceptable strategy. That is my personal opinion. I feel like, at a certain point as an adult, if you want to save to travel, you need to do that while supporting yourself.

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I agree paritially. I would never dream of moving back in with my parents while I save. Its not really an option I have as they live in a different state. Sometimes I think it would be a great idea. Free rent, good food, someone to do my laundry. When that happens I go to visit them. Then I remember why I live where I do. I love my parents, but I love my apartment where no one cares if I don't want to clean my room a certain day, or if I sit up all night reading, or even if I want cookies for dinner. Perhaps if I never left after college I would feel differently.

However, when I return I will most likely end up staying with them for a bit. I am going to have a decent amount of coming home money, a little over 5K. I really think that is enough to get back on my feet. What I will want is some time to relax. Also, my part time job is with a country wide company that my dad also works at (but he's at a full time level). So I will prob. spend a couple of weeks working for dad and figuring out where I would like to move to.

Justin7199

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I am a parents-liver, as of recently, and will only be for 6 months. I don't have a problem with that. Tons of people my age HAVE moved back in with their parents after college.

But I do wonder why, if you bike 20 miles a day, do you need a gym membership? Spend that money on going out now and again--it's good for you.
-------------------------------

Corporate whore no more! Now featuring supercool China edition!

anniebanannie

Share on Orkut

I am not talking about the just out of college moving back with your parents while you figure out your next steps. I am talking about the deciding you want to go somewhere, and disrupting your parents' lives again after you've already moved out kind.

Exceptions to every rule, of course, but things like, "Move back in with your parents, use your parent's phone, use your work phone" just strike me as advantageous rather than responsible.

But I am old these days, so what do I know.

Eowyn218

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Well, it's doubtful I'll ever have kids, but if I do, I'll be one hard-ass, mean parent. ;-) I wouldn't allow my kids to move back in with me, just because they wanted to save up for a trip. Once my kid was an adult, and moved out initially, they should be able to support themselves, and become creative in realizing their dreams, without depending on me for free rent/food/etc.

And as for me, I never considered moving in with the parents an option. But, you know, I'm not here to start up an ethical debate!

And seriously, I'm not really bashing you guys, as it's quite true, it's becoming quite common for people to live with their parents for a while once they are out of college, etc. I just question the PARENTS. Smile Obviously as a child, if your parents are totally supportive of you moving back in with them, you're just taking advantage of their willingness, so apparently it's win-win???

----------

But how I save money? Easy. I don't spend more than what I make. I put money into savings. I write down every single item that I spend money on (this includes a $1.50 cup of hot chocolate), so I get a good idea of what I spend, what I can cut back on, and take things month by month. I budget. I question nearly every non-essential that I purchase, I rarely eat out, I don't own a cell phone, and I bring lunch to work every single day. That's more of a continous lifestyle for me, though - always has been. But I don't completely purge all of the fun out of my life -- I still belong to a gym (regular and climbing), I see a movie every now and then, and meet up with friends for coffee. Oh, and I almost never go to the bars, so suppose that saves me a lot.

theoutsider

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Gym = muay thai/yoga/strength training (weights). running/bike = cardio.

Moving in with your parents is completely practical and acceptable even at 25 years of age -- Especially if they ruined your childhood.
-theoutsider

Justin7199

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by theoutsider:
Gym = muay thai/yoga/strength training (weights). running/bike = cardio.

Moving in with your parents is completely practical and acceptable even at 25 years of age -- Especially if they ruined your childhood.

ah, sweet revenge
-------------------------------

Corporate whore no more! Now featuring supercool China edition!

Bush Trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2007
quote:
originally posted by Eowyn218
Well, it's doubtful I'll ever have kids, but if I do, I'll be one hard-ass, mean parent. ;-) I wouldn't allow my kids to move back in with me,

I left home at an early age but two of my brothers still live at my mothers. One of them with two kids. I couldn't wait to get out of the house. I stay with my mother once a year for one week sometimes every other year. But saving for a trip can be done without giving up your life as annie says. What you need is a balanced life. I don't go to movies because I haven't seenone I wanted to go to and when those "great" movies come out on DVD and I do see them I am usually not disappointed because I expected them to suck in the first place case in point Borat.

But I eat out with friends and go to the park. I enjoy the opera and plays when they come up. But I don't buy expensive clothing and buy books at a used book store because I am never in a hurry to read the latest. Just be prudent and save moderately and never touch the savings.

mikeheenan

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2007
Not specifically anyone in this thread, but there was another thread about parents and "things my mom doesn't know", it seems like a lot of people here have issues with their parents, so there's a totally different perspective for them, like "when I was 18 I got the hell out of there and never looked back" than someone like me who has a great relationship with their parents and would have no problem moving back in with them, provided they were ok with it (it's not an issue with me at this point).
www.myspace.com/cannonballmike

Americanglobetrekker

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2007
Nice! I too bike to work- it is 15 miles each way. I have done that for 4 years-thru some brutal winters and in some intense rain storms. Its all good! I am ready to sell my car. Its a 2002 Toyota GTS loaded with every option- and it only has 19,000 miles on it. I heard these are collector cars now too. Dried beans are a great way to save money! I have a pressure cooker- awesome for bean soup or chili and awesome way to cut down on your electric/gas bill. Dried chickpeas are great for chickpea soup or fresh hummus. You are a vegan- I definately am not. Whole chickens are a great value. And I think the tough cuts meat are the tastiest- flank, onglet, skirt. Those are some ways I save money!
Carpe Noctrine

whatyadoinsucka

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

just get a highly paid career, where you can take breaks from time to time..

I'm thinking of going 'contracting', as I'd get a 20%-30% premium, and being an accountant at least contractors or agency staff get paid by the hour, The amount of overtime I did in my last job, if i'd been agency I'd have doubled my money some months..

other than that, cutting back on alcohol, and meals out, and expensive clothes all help

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

My income tax deductions are stated as a "Single 0" with an extra $25 taken from each check. Doing it that way ensures a large refund each year. When the check came this year, I immediately bought and paid for a ticket for my next vacation.

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

It's actually not such a good idea to get money back from Uncle Sam. It's better to owe taxes. When you get money back its like lending money to the gov't with no interest for the year. If you owe it's like barrowing money with no interest for the year. So you make out best if you just owe a bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit