How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

How I am funding my trip...

theoutsider

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 31st, 2007
I got rid of my car, I ride a bicycle about 20 a miles a day to get to and from work. I stopped eating and drinking out. I stopped all clothing shopping. I sold a ton of junk. I moved in with my parents. I got rid of my cell phone. My only expense now is the gym, and getting some decent gear together (a little pricey, I love golite.com)
-theoutsider

Audra

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 19th, 2007
Good luck! Not only are you not polluting your town's air by riding a bike, but since you are riding that far everyday, you could conceivably save even more money by cutting out the gym. I pretty much did the same thing. Though I never owned a car, I moved in with my parents, stopped buying instruments and stuff, and worked a helluva lot of jobs. All of your hard work & sacrifices will pay off!
www.audrageorge.com

Rocknrod

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Have you seen Bikeforums.net?

They have a pretty decent commuting group... Trinque
---
Restoration projects I'm working on...
-- Noel - WWII Coast Guard Cutter
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/ -- My Pearson Triton sailboat.

Brooke vs. the World

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

way to go theoutsider!

That's quite the commitment - I commend you on your will power! :-)
Brooke vs. the World - Travel Blog | WhyGo Australia - Australia Travel Guide | @brookeschoenman - Tweet Me

theoutsider

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2007
Update:

Ways to rapidly save money and get on the road 5 times faster.

1. Get rid of your car and bicycle. Walk/Run. I like to run the 8 miles to work, then walk the 8 miles back. I was doing the bike thing, but I find running and race walking much more satisfying. If I could swim to work, then that would be kick ass also. I sold my bike to someone and got my 100 dollars that I spent on it back.

2. Live at home. Nothing beats saying "I am cool" like living with mom and dad.

3. Stop going out and drinking. Instead of going to a bar and spending 100 dollars drinking beer/liquor, spend 30 bucks on a fantastic well-researched bottle of red wine. Delicious. Cook a fantastic dinner with it and impress your friends with your culture and sophistication.

4. Buy used gear only, unless it comes to clothing/trail runners Razz

5. Become a vegan. Ok ok, for me it was a lifestyle choice. I only spend 50 bucks a week on food or less. That is eating only fresh, organic natural food that isn't processed. Being a carnivore is unhealthy and costs a lot more! Kidney beans + Brown rice = lots of protein, nutrients, and 1.90 for a lb. of each. Throw in some hot sauce and you are set.

6. Stop buying new clothing!

7. No more coffee, eating out, junk food. It all adds up quickly.

8. Get rid of your cellphone. Use the phone at your parents or at your job. Have people call you there instead. You have an emergency? Bleeding to death on the side of the road. Don't worry, hold your organs in and apply pressure while you wait for a car to hit you, err...stop and call 911.

----
TRIP
----

1. When you go on your trip, don't dumpster dive. Instead, just buy healthy cheap natural food at farmers markets or even the plain old supermarket. You don't need to eat out of a dumpster! You can easily spend under 5 dollars a day on food.
-theoutsider

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2007
$50 a week on food! I'm not veggie and manage to eat just fine on $20 a week.

Also, if you hit up Trader Joes you can get a decent bottle of wine for about $8.

theoutsider

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2007
If you were 170 lbs of lean muscle walking 20+ miles each day plus gym, yoga, swimming, martial arts, and lots of distance running, 50 a week on groceries is more realistic Razz
-theoutsider

genaro

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2007
I just checked my credit card statement and I spent $48/week on food averaged through february Frown

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I don't cook. I don't enjoy it and things tend to catch on fire when I try. In trying to save money I end up with a lot of hot dogs and tv dinners. In fact, I don't even really like tv dinners a whole lot. But I do like raman noodles and chicken noodle soup. I also have a decent deli so I eat cold cuts quite a bit. It's just not really expensive when you don't cook and you don't like anything.

theoutsider

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I am passionate about cooking! It is actually quite fun.
-theoutsider

Miss Logic

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn M:
It's just not really expensive when you don't cook and you don't like anything.

Haha so true.

When you eat the same things all the time you can buy in bulk. I do this. I stock my freezer with hot pockets and my cabinets with things like instant potatoes, just add water pancakes and soup. Add a case of water to the fridge and some applesauce and I am good to go. Not sure how healthy this is but so far so good. I take my vitimans. Big Grin

RalphTheWonderLlama

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Logic:
I take my vitimans. Big Grin

Time to worry - it's knackered your spelling Wink
A Møøse once bit my sister ...

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2007
I love hot pockets. I think I eat those and grilled cheese sandwiches more than anything else.

theoutsider

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2007
eating hot pockets is about as healthy as eating my own feces. hmm. (eats feces, chews. swallows. scrumptious).
-theoutsider

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2007
Well, if you don't cook and you don't eat veggies and you don't like tv dinners, what's left?

Next

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit