Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

How Important is "Quick Dry" Clothing?

mrdarcys_cravat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 6th, 2011
I'm going to Europe for two months, and
a) Don't want to have to buy lots of new clothing for the trip, and
b) Want to look mildly stylish instead of decked out in travel gear.

How do you do laundry while on the road? Are Laundromats frequent in that I shouldn't have to worry if I bring a few cotton pieces? Do most hostels have their own washer/dryers?

Thanks!
Europe for 3 months, Summer '11: http://theelephantvanishes.wordpress.com/

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

It's not the ubiquity of laundromats that you'll have a problem with - I assure you that there will be plenty of places happy to wash your clothes for you - it's the price. You can expect to pay €6-8 per load on average. If you are packing light, as you should, that means doing laundry at least once a week, maybe even every day. That's at least $100 on laundry in a two month trip, money that I personally would rather spend on other things. Not to mention that we're only talking about this trip. Over the life of your gear, you will probably save hundreds of dollars.

Also, this assumes you'll always be using good industrial strength dryers, and I can assure you that you won't. Many dryers will require two runs, maybe even more, especially for hard to dry items.

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

You have to dress for the occasion; what ever that is! Quick dry is essential for me when I travel adventure style (think middle of the nowhere destinations, one, two or less star hotels... ), not so much when I travel for business or if I plan on going out; i.e. Quick dry was my uniform in India but not appropriate in a Montreal club....

Quick dry allows you to keep your luggage light, saves money on laundry, even more important you can wash it yourself and not worry about having to look for a Laundromat or worry who and how will wash your clothes. Aside from that, they do dry fast if you get wet for some reason; sweat or pouring rain alike...

On the other hand, if you do not want to scream, tourist, pack some normal clothes as well.
My guess is that with some reasonable wardrobe planning you can travel with a one checked bag plus a carry on just fine. If you go to Europe, probably a blend of normal and quick dry would work very well. No quick dry might work just fine as well...

If you really have to or want to, depending on your itinerary you can leave part of your pack behind if you return to any destination or ask people to mail some to you for a section of the trip where you would need them.

Did you consider merino wool? They are for more stylish that quick dry with lots of models available. You can wear merino, for a long period before odour is a problem and you have to wash them... If you go and do strenuous activities, and sweat a lot, the above theory does not work. They are also quite pricey.

Enjoy the trip

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

AceTracer wrote:It's not the ubiquity of laundromats that you'll have a problem with - I assure you that there will be plenty of places happy to wash your clothes for you - it's the price. You can expect to pay €6-8 per load on average. If you are packing light, as you should, that means doing laundry at least once a week, maybe even every day. That's at least $100 on laundry in a two month trip, money that I personally would rather spend on other things. Not to mention that we're only talking about this trip. Over the life of your gear, you will probably save hundreds of dollars.

Also, this assumes you'll always be using good industrial strength dryers, and I can assure you that you won't. Many dryers will require two runs, maybe even more, especially for hard to dry items.

Laundry once a week or every day??? Wow!!! I recently traveled for two months in Central America where it's HOT and I certainly wasn't doing laundry that frequently. Every 10-14 days tops. And I was definitely packed light...I had one of the smallest backpacks of any of the travelers I met. And I definitely had "normal clothing", nothing quick dry.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

mrdarcys_cravat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I'll look into merino wool for a few pieces, thanks for the tip! Are there any brands/online shops that you would suggest? In particular, I'm looking for some basic tank tops and a maxi skirt.

And I don't normally wash my clothing after only one wear, so if I mix and match, I can probably get by without sacrificing too much.

Servilia

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
There is a great company from New Zealand called Icebreaker. They have a huge range of Merino products....everything from socks and underwear up to jackets. The sheep are all ethically raised and live in very high altitudes, so the Merino is top notch... keeps you warm when it is cold and cool when it is warm. You can wear the pieces for longer than a day...even the underwear.... check out their website... they always have people who do 'how many days can i wear my icebreaker for before it stinks' challenges... the results are pretty amazing (not sure if that is on their website or facebook/blog site).

I was introduced to their product line about a year back and I cannot speak highly enough about it....

mrdarcys_cravat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
Servilia wrote:There is a great company from New Zealand called Icebreaker. They have a huge range of Merino products....everything from socks and underwear up to jackets. The sheep are all ethically raised and live in very high altitudes, so the Merino is top notch... keeps you warm when it is cold and cool when it is warm. You can wear the pieces for longer than a day...even the underwear.... check out their website... they always have people who do 'how many days can i wear my icebreaker for before it stinks' challenges... the results are pretty amazing (not sure if that is on their website or facebook/blog site).

I was introduced to their product line about a year back and I cannot speak highly enough about it....

I just checked it out, and they have some great basics. I'm definitely bookmarking their website, thank you!

TerryLBaker

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 10th, 2011
Merino is the way to go, just got hooked on it when I started hiking again. I agree that quick-dry is best, especially in humid climates.

Papaya

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 10th, 2011
I had both Icebreaker and Smartwool on my RTW - i have to say the Smartwool was my absolute favorite shirt on the trip!!

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
I've tried using quick dry clothing, both on travels and just going to the gym for a work out. I've stopped using them altogether however, as I've found that they smell bad/funny (sometimes even without sweating in them). Also, they simply aren't as comfortable as natural fibers.

I agree about merino wool being great for both comfort and dryness. I swear by wool socks and last year I bought wool long underwear (tops and bottoms) from Smartwool, and though expensive, they were really great. On long trips I've worn wool socks w/o washing fore 2-3 days straight without smelling bad...really.

mrdarcys_cravat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2011
Okay, you all have convinced me! I'm getting some merino wool tanks, and I'll stock up on socks. Thank you!!

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2011
EMH wrote:
AceTracer wrote:It's not the ubiquity of laundromats that you'll have a problem with - I assure you that there will be plenty of places happy to wash your clothes for you - it's the price. You can expect to pay €6-8 per load on average. If you are packing light, as you should, that means doing laundry at least once a week, maybe even every day. That's at least $100 on laundry in a two month trip, money that I personally would rather spend on other things. Not to mention that we're only talking about this trip. Over the life of your gear, you will probably save hundreds of dollars.

Laundry once a week or every day??? Wow!!! I recently traveled for two months in Central America where it's HOT and I certainly wasn't doing laundry that frequently. Every 10-14 days tops. And I was definitely packed light...I had one of the smallest backpacks of any of the travelers I met. And I definitely had "normal clothing", nothing quick dry.

I only pack one change of clothes, so yes I do laundry every day or every few days. By "laundry" I mean the 10-15 minutes it takes to wash the clothes I was wearing in the shower and hang it to dry.

I second Icebreaker, it's all I wear these days even at home. I'm wearing an Icebreaker shirt right now. It's the only thing I've worn for seven months now.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets