How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

How much do you earn while on the road?

asailorshort

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 4th, 2012
My BF and I have a monthly paycheck that will cover about 2/3 of our travel expenses. We're looking at using a combo of saving $ pre-trip and earning money while on the road to cover the other 1/3.

I know it can vary greatly, depending on the job/lifestyle (i.e. digital nomad working daily during the trip vs. woofing for a couple weeks) but I'd like to know how much you've earned while on the road. Please tell us how much you earned, how long you worked, and what type of work it was. It doesn't need to be cash payment. For instance if you earned 2 weeks free room and board for doing X job, that's great info too.

We're just trying to set a realistic budget. FWIW, I have experience teaching and translating Chinese. BF has experience in IT and a lot of other unrelated labor-like fields (bartending, roofing, concrete work, construction in general).

travel droppings

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 6th, 2012
On my WHV for Aus I was working at an outback resort for 6 days per week, for 5 months and I walked away with about 20,000. I also worked in AV production in Perth and earned $25 per hour, but was only able to save a fraction as we had expenses living in a city. When I worked on cruise ships I was saving about $2300 per month, sometimes less if we had a particularly party filled month.

So yeah, Im not rich, but I have been able to find jobs that provide food/lodging and that is what helps me save.

Sadly, now I am stationary, so I save very little as I like to go out... But I'll be out there again soon.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Hedonist

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 26th, 2012
What anyone else has earned is irrelevant.

While HOPING to find work while on the road is fine, COUNTING on it to fund travel makes no sense. There is simply no way to know for SURE you will find any work at all. Yes, plenty of people do, legally or ilegally (another issue), but plenty of other people do not.

The whole issue of enough money only exists if you insist on thinking you must be gone for a specified period of time. Time and budget are not fixed as most people tend to think of them. What you actually have is a maximum amount of time available and a maximum amount of money to spend. There is no minimum. So if your money runs out 3 months before your time available does, you just go home.

Long term travel is not a 2 week vacation with a fixed return. There is no need to think of it that way yet most do. They do because that's the way they are used to thinking of travel. They know where they are going, how long they are going for and have a pretty good idea how much it will cost. Long term travel has far too many variables for that.

Buy a ticket to A. Spend as much each day as you need to spend to see/do what you want to see/do. When you are ready to move on and not before, decide where you will go next. Repeat this process until either time available or funds available run out. Go home.

If you happen to find some work that lets you extend your funds, fine, no problem knowing what to do. If you come across an opportunity, take it regardless of what it will do to your time or funds. That's where the adventure part of long term travel comes into it. Having a schedule and budget per day you try to stick too defeats the whole purpose of long term travel.

It is getting away from everyday schedules that is the big draw of long term travel. Why then would anyone self-impose an itenerary or budget on themselves. I would far rather enjoy every day of 6 months than survive a self-planned tour (an itinerary is in fact a tour) for 12 months.

justish

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2013
Boy that 2nd post doesn't sound very hopeful.

But I see the point. Sometimes it looks so easy because everyone else finds jobs easily but I find it so tricky. Maybe because I overthink it. But a few months does seem a very narrow time unless u plan to lie about how long u are staying. Cooks seem to be in high demand and guys willing to do hard labour can almost always find work.

TravelWarrior

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2013
To be honest, you are no going to find high paying professional jobs while traveling because of visa restrictions....but then again, why would you want to do a professional job while traveling.

I left the U.S. after college and got a job in the Greek Islands. I was first a VIP waitress, then that turned into a 4 years public relations job for night life in the Greek Islands.

I didn't earn the equal value to that of a normal job...mostly because I worked 12 hours a day, for 5 months out of the year with no days off (tourist season!)...but it was enough where I would not have to touch my debit card.

But it was all about the experience. I knew a lot of people that snagged bartending, waitressing, house keeping of hotels, sales with boat trips, water sport guide, horse back riding guides...basically anywhere there is a tourism, are jobs that need English speakers. And if you find someone that is willing to pay you cash, you're in. But you do have to be aggressive and usually people do not hire in a pair. It is harder for males to get jobs as well.

I did this in Ireland and now I am doing it in Sweden as well (of course, in Sweden I have a steady full time job, but that's another story)

Anyway, if you want to ask me anything let me know, or check out how I did all of this on my blog: http://youmeeveryoneinbetween.blogspot.com/
How did I live illegally 4 years in Europe? Find out on my blog:http://youmeeveryoneinbetween.blogspot.com

2 Global Nomads

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 6th, 2013
asailorshort wrote:My BF and I have a monthly paycheck that will cover about 2/3 of our travel expenses. We're looking at using a combo of saving $ pre-trip and earning money while on the road to cover the other 1/3.

For us the secret of long-term travelling is not earning a lot but spending less. Our past 5 years total monthly expense average is $376/person and we have been able to support that cost level. We get some money from our published books thanks to our readers, but other than that prefer work exchange where there is no money involved. In exchange of work we get free lodging and food. So far we have done work exchange for a hotel in Jaipur, India and a hostel in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica.

House- and pet-sitting are nice, too, but in that case you will have to pay for your own food. And you can always go to a Japanese zen-monastery like Antaiji where you can live for free as long as you participate in daily hard labour in rice fields and vegetable garden.
Travel like a global nomad: longer, cheaper, and with a smaller ecological, financial and carbon footprint.

greyeyedman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 12th, 2013
OP is long gone. Probably posted over a bottle of wine and never left home.

For those who do come along later... if you have questions... post where you are going. Makes all the difference. You can pick fruit in OZ. Not going to work in Bolivia. Also...what are your skills? A degree in medieval French literature is not a skill. That is just a way to spend the folks money. Child care and house cleaning are not skills. Bartending... if cute, female and able to shake it..works in tourist areas. Teaching English is probably the widest legal job. Getting a certificate ahead of tine can help. For US folks.. there are lots of schools around the world catering to the kids of diplomats and foreign execs who bring their families along. Those take credentials. Hiring is often done in the US. Allow for lead time. Medical or technical skills are good. Look into NGOs. Unusual skills... if you are open to difficult assignments still bring in cash. It financed several years for me. Starting in the 70s... Cuba, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Peru and Bolivia. Conveniently got checks from Grand Cayman. I'm not getting into working as an exec for a US or European company. Folks on here aren't looking for that for the most part. I've met several musicians who managed to do OK. At least as well as any musician ever does.

You have to decide at what level you need. Most of the world lives on a few dollars a day. You can't since you lack the support system. But you can do it close. Live like locals. Travel slowly. Keep a record of what you spend.

jlinFan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 19th, 2013
Can you share here how you earn money while traveling? I love traveling but it's not that easy to finance all my vacations so I think it's really great to find a job that pays me for traveling. Sometimes it's just boring to work in front of the computer 8 hours a day so I think I want to try a more adventurous job. :)

greyeyedman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 19th, 2013
jlin... did you read my post? As to me, the way I earn you probably can't. Tons of ways. To help you, you need to give some info. If you aren't prepared to then you are on your own. OK.. Answer the following... even if it doesn't seem relevant. Current skills. What do you do for a job? What have you done? What won't you do? Age. Gender. Nationality. Where do you want to travel? What level of comfort/safety do you need to exist on the road? How long do you want to travel? Use specifics, not adjectives.

flareup

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 1st, 2013
I have a few friends that travel the world and update their travel blog on that go and they get income that way. They're living a pretty good life. I'm thinking of starting a youtube channel.
Check out my travel insurance review website: Insurance Onus

Venture2Adventure

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 2nd, 2013
My wife and I are leaving for our trip in February 2014. We have enough money to travel for about two years, but we started a blog http://www.venture2adventure.com to see if we could monitize it in about six months. We also have a connection in Dubai that could hook us up with a job if we wanted to make some quick money.

GarryJP

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2013
It is a very interesting opportunity to earn some extra money during traveling. I always wonder when hearing that. Once I traveled and worked as a guide and generally I liked it. I visited most places of interest in Crimea and made small budget as well. Double satisfaction so to say.

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit