Ask Bali fans for recommendations on everything from places to stay to top attractions to the best dentists. Learn about getting married in Bali, how to travel elsewhere in Indonesia and anything else about this island paradise.

How much income needed to live in Bali, and be "comfortable"?

RetroFlatus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 11th, 2005
I am curious about what it takes financialy to live there. What is rent like? how about the price of buying a modest home, how is the cost of living? what does a good meal in a nice restaraunt run?
Those that live there tell me what you think the optimum amount of money one would need there per month. I am not talking about living like a king, buying a fancy car, having servants or any of that crap, but like a single guy who likes to eat out a few nights a week, see the sights,drink some beer with the mates, that kind of thing.
RetroFlatus

JustLookin

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 13th, 2005
Interesting question. I've never been but I think the answer could be $500-$750 a month. I don't think foreigners can own property but you could rent or live longterm in a hotel. There is another issue of visas. They really only issue 30 and 60 day visas so you will have to fly out to like Singapore and reup your 60 day visa. These visa runs could add $200 every two months to your budget.

Would be interesting to get an answer form someone who lives there.

Nick

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 17th, 2005
quote:
I am curious about what it takes financialy to live there. What is rent like?

Depends where you want to live and what kind of place you want. You can get a 10*10ft room for $45 in Kuta a month. If you want a decent place AC a kitchen, some space etc. in western standard, you will be looking at maybe $250 a month and up.

In less toursity areas much cheaper.

how about the price of buying a modest home, how is the cost of living?

Land in Kuta is $35,000 for 100 sq meters. In the boonies its $1,000. Same again with buying a home, you can build a small place for $40,000 including the land on the Bukit maybe.

what does a good meal in a nice restaraunt run?

We've got the whole range here, from cheap places to the Ritz Carlton. A decent meal might be $10, but you can get okay meals for $5.

Those that live there tell me what you think the optimum amount of money one would need there per month. I am not talking about living like a king, buying a fancy car, having servants or any of that crap, but like a single guy who likes to eat out a few nights a week, see the sights,drink some beer with the mates, that kind of thing.

Money needed including rent would be $600. You can go cheaper if you stay away from the nightlife and eat local. You can live on $2 a day for food if you wanted to and not be hungry, its just how much fried rice can a fellow stand?

(prices in US dollars)

RetroFlatus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 19th, 2005
Nick

Thanks bunches!
Next, what does one do there with ones time? I don't think I could surf 7 days a week. What are some of the other pursuits that people who live there get into?
How big a place is it?

Laurlaurs

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 19th, 2005
Hey Retro
May I suggest that you go to bali as a tourist,check it out and then decide wether or not it is a place that you woud want to live in.
Bali is one of those places that you either love or don't.If you love it you will never run out of "things to do,places to go,people to see".I have been up there several times and each time I find something new.Couple that with returning to all the old haunts and i find my holidays are busy and enjoyable.All depends on what you want.
cheers laurs

Blayne_Aussie

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 7th, 2005
for all the aussie folk, there was a special on owning a holiday home in bali on "The Great Outdoors" (a travel and lifestyle program in Australia)

theres some info about it on The Great outdoors -Bali Villas

i am interested in this too! because i am thinking of upping and moving to bali for a while (possibly a year or so)

please post any other thoughts that you may have!
job seeking etc

Nick how much does it cost you to do your visa runs to singapore?

sjb1983

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 30th, 2012
You can live a decent life on around $700 a month. The main thing that costs people to live here is trying to live like at home - alcohol and western food are extremely expensive compared to everything else. If you can do without those on a constant basis, you can live really well.

Enjoy!
For further info, check out my blog on Bali - Life in Bali

sjb1983

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2012
I actually saw a recent article on HubPages about how you could live on US $400 a month in Bali if you knew where to look. Pretty interesting.

Have you been to Bali yet? If so, how did you find the prices compared to what people have told you?

Cheers
For further info, check out my blog on Bali - Life in Bali

Return to Bali Travel Forum