Ask SouthAfricaLogue.com and other SA fans about all the hidden secrets of Cape Town, Jo'burg, shark diving, safaris and many more highlights of South Africa.

How much money do I need? (World Cup 2010)

wandergurl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: World Cup, south africa
  • Added on: December 31st, 2009
Happy New Year!

I am going to South Africa for the World Cup for four weeks. One of those weeks will be spent on what is now looking like an Intrepid tour somewhere. The rest of the weeks will be spent traveling around South Africa (Durban-Joberg-Pretoria-CapeTown-back to Joberg).

Given that I have paid all internal flights, tours & accommodation, how much cash should I have saved up as pocket money?

Also, I have heard that in some countries in Africa its not always best to use the ATMs. Is this true of South Africa or does that depend on where in SA you are?

Thank you!

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 31st, 2009
I'm also going to be in SA for the World Cup. I'll be basing myself out of Durban for most of the tournament, but also trying to figure out what my daily budget is going to look like.
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

Antony

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2010
This one is a very difficult one to answer as everywhere is putting up their prices especially for World Cup.
Normally I pay about 50p for a beer but reports say that Cape Town will be about £1 - £1.50, so durban will be the same. I would also expect the accomodation to be more expensive and travel will be a nightmare. Durban to Cape Town on the train is £300!
I would say not excluding accomodation tours etc, allow £50 a day for food, drinks, taxis etc and if you have money left over you can spoil yourself at the end!

Hope that helps

Antony
Yomps
http://www.yomps.co.uk

Return to South Africa Travel