Discuss gay-friendly travel destinations and gather information on organizations useful to the gay or lesbian indie traveller.

how queer-friendly is central america?

wanderingredhead

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 1st, 2007
Last edited by wanderingredhead on December 17th, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 3rd, 2007
There are enclaves, I guess. Utila is a bastion of any kind of lifestyle. From faux fake white dreadlock folk to a strong gay community.

I have seen local lesbian couples be open but subdued in smaller cities in Costa Rica.

I spent seven hours on a bus with an indigenous lesbian couple who all but 69ed from David to Panama City. They seemed to have no fear.

Across C A I can tell you that there is at least an underground male gay community. Judging from the gay sex pics on every computer I visit for the internet.

I have no idea of the requirements for comfort of a female gay couple, but I would hate that you had NO answers on this.
Good Luck Out There.

wanderingredhead

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2007
Thanks Piecar!

I think you had another post before..did you delete it? Was going to ask a question about something in there.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2007
Yeah, redhead. I wasn´t sure I wasn´t being an ass before (a constant worry with me) so I tried to refine my answer. If you rememver the question, ask. I think the missing part of my first post was about how I think that there are far more women travelling in CA than men. I´ll answer as honestly as I possibly can. OH! As for the rainbow flag on your pack....I think, if it is not the whole pack ( like some of my Canuck brethren and their flag!!!), it is a fine idea. Not a problem at all.
Good Luck Out There.

wanderingredhead

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2007
I don't remember anymore..thanks though Smile

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2007
And, truth to tell, I am not sure that the symbol has meaning for the people of CA. So only those who know the meaning will approach you on it and that is all that you need to do anyway, right.
Good Luck Out There.

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2007
Of course it has a meaning. The rainbow flag is being used (and I'm sure before the gay community used it) to represent the 'Inca' empire/indigenous people:

BBC article on it.

Funny how few people know that. For me it was exactly the other way around. I bought one in Peru and it had no other meaning to me than 'Inca'. Then I got to NYC and I saw the flag everywhere. Naive as I am with these kind of things, I wondered why the hell the Inca flag was so hip in New York. Somebody at one point then enlightened me.
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2007
I'm straight, so I can't really give you any tips. However, I always have issues with people who put labels onto themselves while traveling. To me, one of the greatest things while traveling is, that nobody has a label for you. Everybody you meet, you meet without any personal expectations of you. Why would you want to squander this (partially) and put a label on you which will lead to many people judging you without even getting to know you. I'm sure you'll still be able to check out the gay scene. As a matter of fact, I know that you can. My friend traveled for about 18 months - and he certainly didn't seem to have a problem finding the gay scene anywhere on this planet. Wink
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

Return to GLBT Travel