Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

How to Reduce Camera Shake - 6 Techniques

Markus

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 6th, 2008
The string tripod would take a bit of DIY work to make and you'd look a little odd using it, but it's a very cool idea:

http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/

quote:
This is an old photographers trick - here is my design. Sometimes referred to as a string tripod or string bipod or string monopod. Also known as a chain tripod, bipod, etc... This device is used to stabilize a camera in order to get clearer pictures at a slow shutter speed. With more and more digital cameras coming out with vibration reduction or image stabilization systems, the string tripod has a new life.

Since image stabilization systems work best with rotational vibration, translational vibration can still create blurry pictures. By restraining the up-down left-right and back-front axis, you can lessen this vibration. Since with this design you still have rotational freedom, you can pan and follow something such as a bird or sports player.

Conor_M

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2008
Those are all great methods. I think I have come up with almost all of them on my own without any prior knowledge. When you take a lot of photographs you figure out what works and what doesn't for reducing shake.
If I had to pick techniques that worked for me it would have to be machine gun and the personal tripod using your own knee.

Off topic: The woman's self consciousness about her lying down shots are pretty damn distracting. Nobody would have taken a second look until she scribbled all over her behind and drew attention to it. Now I think her rear end must be ENORMOUS.

Paul79UF

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2008
My technique for any super shaky situation is just to put the camera on rapid fire mode and shoot lots of pictures.

Then later I can pick out the sharpest one and delete the rest.

The IS (image stabilization) systems really help out though.

uspn

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 17th, 2008
I think the most valuable tip excluded from that tip is to use the timer mode on the camera. It of course only works when you don't have to take the camera on exactly the right moment, but still: Set your camera timer to 2 or 10 seconds, which typically are the options on cameras, press the shutter release button and shake as much as you like in doing so. Just make sure that you hold the camera as still as possible two or ten seconds later, and you'll get a shake-free shot.

The other options that has not been mentioned is using a remote control. I see more and more cameras coming with that, and this was in fact one of the reasons I bought my newest camera, a Sony DSC-H50. It lets you take the photo without even touching the camera in general and any buttons in particular. I use it to get photos of animals and insects that won't come out unless I'm a few feet away, but in addition to that it of course also removes the camera shake.

Bjørn
http://bjornfree.com/

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums