Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

how to travel as a Dual Citizen

sonch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: Europe, passport, germany, slovenia, italy
  • Added on: December 22nd, 2012
Hi,

I will be heading to Germany, Italy and Slovenia this February. I live in Toronto, but will be flying out of Buffalo, New York and returning again to Canada. In Europe I will be landing in Germany and leaving out of Italy. I have an Italian Passport that I want to use in Europe but want to leave the U.S and return to Canada with my Canadian passport. Any advice not to get myself in trouble with boarder guards?

Thanks!
Lost in life

JasonT

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2012
It's very simple. When you land in Europe just go to the EU citizen line at immigration, and show them your EU passport. No stamps will be issued. Doubtful if the immigration officer will even speak to you.

When you leave Europe, leave on your EU passport. Then when you land in Canada, enter on your Canadian passport.

I travel with a Canadian and UK passport, without question or issues.

Jason

travel droppings

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 24th, 2012
Yes, my partner does this all the time with her US and UK passports. Use the one you want to use.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Hedonist

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 26th, 2012
Agreed, not a problem. Just remember that it is best to enter and exit a country on the same passport. Otherwise if you enter on one and leave on another, there is no record (passport scanned) of your having left the country. Nowadays, passports are often scanned not stamped. So there is a record of your having entered or exited.

I always enter/exit Europe on my UK passport and enter/exit Canada on my Canadian passport.

Another thought, don't worry if your Canadian passport will have expired by the time you return. A Canadian passport even when expired is valid ID for entering Canada. I've entered on one that was expired by 6 years. The Immigration Officer simply said, 'you know this is expired'. I said, 'yes, I know'.

The same is actually the case with entering the UK on an expired UK passport but I don't know about Italy. It's handy to know since you may not want to buy a new passport when you can travel on your other one and just use the expired one to return into Canada. ;)

sonch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 27th, 2012
Hi Guys,

Great this is fantastic advice. I will try this, one question if I travel from Germany-> Slovenia will their not be stamps in my Canadian passport? This is of no issue right?

Thank you!
Lost in life

Hedonist

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 27th, 2012
It goes like this.

You cross the border from Canada to Buffalo on your Canadian Passport. At Check-in in Buffalo you present your Canadian passport. On arrival in Germany you present your Italian passport having gone through the EU Only line. You continue into Slovenia using your Italian passport.

You continue on to Italy on your Italian passport and finally fly out of Italy on your Italian passport. On arrival back in Canada you present your Canadian passport.

It is unlikely either passport will be stamped anywhere.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2012
And even if someone asks, just say "I have dual citizenship" and no one in the countries you've mentioned will give a crap. They just want to make sure you're not overstaying illegally anywhere you shouldn't be.

Chef Manuela

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2013
No don't say I have dual citisenship. This might bring trouble. Use the one that suits the case.
Remember that in Italy you should never use the Canadian passport as that might look as hiding your identities.
Your problem might be driving in Italy. In this case if you rent a car and get stop I contradict what said above and use your Canadian passport as Italian citisen should carry italian driving licence.

Return to Europe Travel