What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

I don't like vegetarians

travis

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 1st, 2009
JUST KIDDING

haha.

But I am curious about the reason's why you are (or aren't) a vegetarian?

I was a vegetarian for the first 2 years of my life. But now, I like to eat to meat. And it just seems that I have a hard time talking with people about their vege eating habits because they always seem to get very defensive about it and end up making it seem personal and therefor I never learn about the underlying decisions as to why they choose to eat like that. (this is how the sarcastic title of this thread came about, I was kinda not liking vegetarians after my experience with one today who made it seem like my questioning was a disapproval and then they attacked me and the fact that i ate meat and ranted about how I shouldn't)

I just want to know, I'm curious and I don't want to be called names and ridiculed for eating meat. :D

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

There are many reasons to give up meat. Some gain health benefits. Others make a moral commitment.

Some people eat vegetarian, and others ARE VEGETARIAN!!" It's the latter group that sometimes seem evangelic in their manner, especially those coming from a vegan platform.

In any case, putting someone on the spot, because of their eating habits, is usually going to result in defensiveness.

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

I stopped eating red meat when I went to college (I cannot eat fish or pork, so those were already given up...body can't process them or something). The only reason was to see if I could get through college without eating it. It was tough...the town where I went to college is famous for tri-tip and other bbq.

It drove my family NUTS. I didn't make a big deal out of it...the only time I requested having a non-meat option was on my bday. And I got crap for that, too, but I felt like I should be able to enjoy my meal and not just eat salad:-). But beyond that, my family made a much bigger deal out of it (what will annie eat! trust me, I was never wasting away).

A few years ago I started training for a half-marathon, and really craving meat. So I started eating it again. In moderation, because my body can only handle so much, but I do love it. International travel is now a bit easier, as well! My goal is mainly to not be a pain in the ass with my diet; since I can't eat pork/fish, I can't be as accommodating as I would like. But I try.

I live in SF, home of the pretentious vegan/veggie, and a lot of time I want to punch 'em. One friend, in particular, talks about not eating red meat, she's a veggie...then proceeds to eat pepperoni on her pizza, etc. Grrr...We all get to make choices, I won't push mine on you if you don't push them on me. And, if you do, I will eat a nice piece of perfect medium rare steak, in front of you, savoring every bite.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

I tried being a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 2 years in the mid 80s. (health, not moral reasons) At first it was phenomenal. Lost weight, more energy, zero BO even without deodorant, just plain felt better in every way. Then about mid way through the second year the problems started. I was wasting away. No matter how much exercise I was getting, my muscles were getting smaller and I tired easily. I went ahead and gave it another 6 months in case it was unrelated. It got worse. So, right about at the 2 year mark I began slowly eating meat again. In just a couple of months my vitality returned. Now I was doing this by the book. Making sure I had all the required amino acids, vitamins, and such every day, but my body just could not get what it needed protein-wise without meat.

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2009
I've been sort of vegetarian now for over half my life. By sort of I mean that I do eat eggs, dairy and fish. My fanatical veggie friends tell me that means I'm not vegetarian -- whatever -- I don't really care. I use the term vegetarian as a matter of covenience to explain my desire not to eat fellow homeotherms. When people ask why, I have a trite answer: "I like animals and don't usually eat my friends."

It's a matter of personal choice. I'm happily married to a carnivore, and we have no problems food-wise. Hell, I'll even walk into a butcher's shop, buy my wife a pork chop, bring it home and cook it for her. I can't stand evangelical vegans, nor do I like it when people try to "tempt" me with meat, saying they know how much I want to eat it. (By the way, I don't.)

I like the way I eat and don't really care what others eat as long as they keep my family out of their mouths.

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2009
Veggie here too.
When people ask me why, it does feel like they are putting me on the spot - why do people feel the need to ask this question??? Do they really want to know the answer??
Also, I would never dream of asking a meat eater to justify why they eat meat as they are tucking into a big steak - seems downright rude to me!

Although I have an affinity for animals I will usually reply that I dont like meat - that tends to kill the conversation as I really cant be bothered to get into a big debate about it - I have been veggie for over 20 years and am very happy with my diet and ethos.

My family didnt/dont make a big deal of it and nor do I - in fact they embrace it - Mum never ceases to come up with some new veggie dish everytime I visit and the whole family eat more heathily as a result.
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

JMB

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2009
Wow, thanks for the opportunity to say Why!

The majority of Vegetarians and Vegans respect how others eat - then there are the few who are super-aggressive about their lifestyle....

Why I'm vegan:
- Animal abuse and farming practices is the first thing I think of. Just type it into google if you want to see and learn how food animals are raised. I believe we are not superior to animals.
- The things that get added in, even in Organic meats and dairy products, are horrific. Did you know that milk and butter have an acceptable level of cow mucus allowed by the FDA? This means you're drinking mucus created by milking patterns. The list goes on...
- Nutrition. I have been convinced both through personal experience, doctors, and scientists/studies I trust that this is the most nutritious way to eat, and the best way to maintain lifelong wellness and longevity. Our culture has been ingrained with different beliefs, which makes me sad.

I also want to address those who suffer for energy or muscle tone when they go vegetarian/vegan: it is difficult to eat this way if you do not educate yourself about what your body needs. Please if you decide to eat vegetarian or vegan, learn the supplements your body needs (B12 for example) and use them. Also, learn more about how protein is taken into our bodies. Did you know that most protein powders actually pass through without ever being absorbed, AND cause calcium to be leached out of your bones? Eating a small amount of protein (almonds for example) at the right time of day makes all the difference. There is a lot to learn about this lifestyle, and if you choose to follow it please take the time to educate yourself so you are not hurting yourself or those you love! :)

Hope this helps, it is a beautiful lifestyle full of energy, happiness, and grace.
Jed

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2009
If God didn't want us to eat animals why did he make them out of meat?

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2009
Not the first Travis wrote:If God didn't want us to eat animals why did he make them out of meat?

However, if he had wanted us to eat them cooked, he would have created them on the grill.

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 10th, 2009
But if God wanted us to eat animal meat on the grill, why would we even have to kill it? Shouldn't it just be delivered by UPS to our door?

Please! Just order a pizza. God has given us pizza delivery and it is the answer. Manna in a pie.

(PS vegans, you can have the one with soy cheese)

Jhonthompson

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2009
I Love vegetarians sometimes fresh food is mouth watering. I am not a vegetarian but I love fresh vegetables very much. It gives me a great taste. Sometimes meat is not always delicious and it provides some health problem to have too many.
I love to travel and I REALLY know South America. If you visit Valle Nevado Chile, contact me.

Jhonthompson

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 16th, 2009
Well Travis, there are many reasons to give up meat and become a vegetarian. One reason is religious values. i have heard that many Hindus don't eat or even touch meat and fish...they are fully vegetarian because of their religion. another reason might be loosing weight. To loose weight many people give up eating meat n fish! There are so many reasons like these...to become a vegetarian!
I love to travel and I REALLY know South America. If you visit Valle Nevado Chile, contact me.

RTWadict

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2009
if they don't like meat why do they try to make it look and taste like meat?

ala tofu sausages etc etc etc..

:P

I love meat,

One of my still unfulfilled travel objectives is to meet & greet said animal (pig/goat )/slaughter/butcher/prepare/Eat. Do the whole shebang.

I do it with veges already..
Is it that veges just can't show emotion..

Some plants can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_pudica

What will you eat if they evolve?

Devils advocate.

wordygirlj

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2009
Not everything you would think of as "imitation meat" really makes an attempt to be like meat. Black bean burgers, for example. Quite tasty, and perhaps meat-like in that they are served the same way, but make to claim to taste like meat.

I'm a vegetarian, and I generally don't like things that try to taste like meat, because they remind me of meat, and it grosses me out, but I like the ones that might be served like meat, but don't necessarily attempt to taste like it.

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2010
I agree on the imitation meat thing. I find it funny how people become veg*n and then eat mock meats in the shape of nuggets and tenderloins and whatnot.

Personally, I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons, than health and environmental. But I say all this and yet I'm not COMPLETELY strict and I'm aware of the faults and hypocrisy around my lifestyle. But meh...
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Sea of Derailments - http://davidamis.wordpress.com
DavidAM Bandcamp - http://davidam.bandcamp.com

Next

Return to Food & Travel