A forum for meeting other BootsnAll members on the road, finding travel partners and splitting the costs of a road trip. Also a place to search for long-lost road friends.

I keep to myself mostly. So...

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 17th, 2010
I understand I probably won't be meeting a lot of people on the road with that behaviour. LOL! I mean, I'm a very shy guy and I'm not the best person to have a conversation with especially if there's no initial shared interest, aside from travel. I also don't drink for personal and health reasons and I was never really into the whole party scene. I also don't smoke or do any illicit substances. So with all that said, is it even possible for me to meet people on the road? It seems, from everything I've seen and read, that most travelers are young kids staying in hostels partying every other day and that's just not my thing. What's the solution to something like this? I hate meeting people who judge me based on the fact that I don't drink or smoke and think, "Man, do you have any fun?" And then they pressure me into doing something I'm not partial to. I don't understand how that ever constitutes a good time when you've traveled overseas to do something new and different and yet you spend your time partying the same you would as if you were home. Bah, I say.
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Sea of Derailments - http://davidamis.wordpress.com
DavidAM Bandcamp - http://davidam.bandcamp.com

minerguy

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2010
It will be a little more work for you, but nothing that can't be overcome. Saw on your other post that you plan to start out in Hawaii. I don't know how different that will be that the mainland US. I find travel in the US - going to national and state parks, small towns - to be harder to meet people than when overseas where there are hostels everywhere. The young party every other day crowd gets a lot of attention, but they aren't the only ones out there by any means.

Most American travelers tend to be at least in their upper 20's and as high as you want to go since we don't have the gap year culture of other countries. You'll often find people hanging out with a beer or smoking, but I never found any pressure for those that weren't doing either and it's not unusual. If you don't like to be around that at all it will be tougher.

As for meeting people travel is a great way to go. You automatically have something in common with the other people at the hostel since you are there. Asking questions about places you want to go, or what to do there, always generates a discussion. There will be some lonely days, sometimes I need them just to recharge.
Traveling by motorcycle to Alaska and beyond at BikeandBoots.com
Come along for the ride!

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2010
If you're staying in hostels, it's pretty impossible to be alone. There's always somebody getting ready to go out and do something, whether it's checking out a museum, taking a walk, or heading out to the local watering hole. And they'll want to know if you'll go with them. And even if you don't have anything in common with these people besides travel, it's OK. It's all you'll end up talking about, once you get past the initial "Where are you from, What did you study in university," and maybe, just maybe "What is your name"

You're not going to have a hard time hanging out. I don't know how many times I've hung out in the hostel common area, or gone out to a park and everyone was at their own preferred level of sobriety-from stone cold sober to really fucked up, with the ones in the middle sipping on their beers. It's cool. Just as long as you're down with hanging out with others who are not as sober as you, you'll have no problem. For me, I'd have a hard time hanging out with a bunch of wasted 18 year olds (I'm 26), especially if I'm sober. Everyone has their own level of tolerance though.

I'm a loner/hermit/independent (however you'd like to put it) myself, and sometimes I just didn't want to talk to anybody. It's my way of recharging. Sometimes it was hard for me staying in a room with 7 other people with this mentality.

I don't know how to post links, but you can go here. I asked about sober travelling a year and a half ago when I first got to Australia. I felt so much better after getting these responses. sober-traveling-t7448.html?hilit=%20sober
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 20th, 2010
Thanks for the advice. And also, that's a great link you posted. Great tips in their. I'll see what happens when I'm actually out there. I figure I'll be the guy who tags along and doesn't say much but just sits back and observes... that's who I am with my friends now.
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 21st, 2010
DavidAM wrote: I figure I'll be the guy who tags along and doesn't say much but just sits back and observes... that's who I am with my friends now.

Your actually more likely to get more out of your travel experience if you try to make a bit of an effort to join in. Its all very well sitting back and observing with your friends and people that know you, but if you're with people who have never met you and your perceived as too much hard work you most likely wont get asked along again.
Im not saying you have to be the life and soul all the time, and agree alone/quiet time is important too, just that usually the more you put into something the more you get out of it.

Peoples perception of travelling is quite often totally different to the reality, so try not to pigeon hole your self into a particular 'type' before you even start. Keep an open mind and a positive attitude.
You never know, you might be surprised at what your capable of, and come home a totally new you! I'm definitely sure it will help you overcome your shyness.
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2010
I kind of feel like... when I travel somewhere new, because I'll be on my own, I'll be more receptive and open to talking since I'll have to figure out what's going on instead of just observing. Around here, I'm pretty annoyed with a lot of my "friends". It's a lot of the same with them so that also keeps me closed off. I do think maybe I'll open up a bit when I'm out there. But I know what I'm usually like and I definitely may not be the one to initiate any conversations. But I'll definitely be open to the situation.

minerguy

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2010
DavidAM wrote:I kind of feel like... when I travel somewhere new, because I'll be on my own, I'll be more receptive and open to talking since I'll have to figure out what's going on instead of just observing. Around here, I'm pretty annoyed with a lot of my "friends". It's a lot of the same with them so that also keeps me closed off.

I've been there before. A change of scenery probably is for the best. You'll either find something new that you are interested in or come back with a fresh outlook on things back home.

As odd as it sounds, don't expect to be peppered with questions about what you did while you were away when you return. The people at home lived their lives doing just what they were while you were gone. There may be one or two that are really curious, but most aren't.
Traveling by motorcycle to Alaska and beyond at BikeandBoots.com
Come along for the ride!

Hazard

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 17th, 2011
I agree David,
Travel has its own rewards, no need to cheapen the experience with drugs or getting wasted.

Return to Travel Buddies