Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Iceland passport stamps

everett

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 12th, 2007
Anyone know if you get a passport stamp when you visit iceland or Norway on a UK passport.

I know you don't get stamps when visiting EU countries, but is it the same for EEA countries?
www.jamblemag.com - green travel magazine

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I don't have an answer, but I just thought I'd suggest you go find out and report back. I hope that whether they stamp your passport or not doesn't affect your travel plans.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Nobody on my fight from AMS was asked to show passports on arrival in Iceland. Officials didn't stop or talk to anyone. It amazed us. That was 4 years ago. Things could probably have changed by now.

Anne-Sophie

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I'm afraid we (or the other 2 EEA-countries) don't stamp passports for EU-citizens (and vice versa). But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. Who knows, with the police in a good mood, not a long queue behind you... you may get lucky. (My daughter got a stamp arriving in Germany, just for asking).

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 13th, 2007
A long time ago on the train from Germany to Denmark, one guy in the compartment asked for a stamp and the immigration guy just handed it to him.

I reckon they'll stamp your passport if you ask.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

quote:
Nobody on my fight from AMS was asked to show passports on arrival in Iceland. Officials didn't stop or talk to anyone.
Iceland is a schengen country, and has been for quite a while. While it does seem that internal borders, particularly when travelling by air, are more closely watched than they used to be, a flight from AMS will probably still be treated differently than a flight from the UK.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

quote:
a flight from AMS will probably still be treated differently than a flight from the UK.

But either flight could have a slew of different nationalities on board. Ours did.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

quote:
But either flight could have a slew of different nationalities on board. Ours did.
I realise, but when travelling within Schengen countries (which include both Iceland and the Netherlands), border checks aren't often done - essentially equivalent to travelling between American states. The nationality of the person doing the travelling is irrelevant. This is what makes Schengen different from the larger EU. There may be a few quirks with Norway and Iceland, which part part of the Schengen zone, but are not EU members.

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Anne-Sophie:
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. Who knows, with the police in a good mood, not a long queue behind you... you may get lucky. (My daughter got a stamp arriving in Germany, just for asking).
This worked for me upon arrival in Switzerland and Czech Rep. Just ask! They'll probably give you a stamp and a smile.

whatyadoinsucka

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 16th, 2007
Hello bad news I'm afraid

from a fellow with a tattered burgundy book

I flew into iceland from manchester (uk) in march and yes they look at your passport, but you won't get a stamp..

Again i flew into Norway last summer and no stamp.

both countries are wonderfull although wait till summer for iceland as reykjavik at -5 and a windchill of another -15 is not too nice, or easy going on the face !!

But only a few weeks ago I got a passport stamp into switzerland, I presume it was because I'd flown in from prague !! and not the UK. and they'd just stamped it by mistake

I'm off to Latvia, lithuania and estonia in 2 weeks time, will I get stamps or not..

Bakpokinn

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 13th, 2007
If you're from the UK you get no stamp.

If you're arriving from the Schengen area, you don't even need a passport, but if you're arriving from the UK they'll check out your passport and let you go.

Return to Europe Travel