Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

If you had only two weeks in Ireland, what would you do?

nurseandrea

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 18th, 2013
Hello! My boyfriend and I are stopping off in Ireland on our way home from 6 months in southeast Asia, sometime in the spring of 2014 for a friends wedding. Well most likely be slightly strapped for cash, and on time(at least itll feel like it after 6 months of leisurely exploring SEA).

What are your recommendations? If you only had 2 weeks and limited resources(or not...) what would you see, do, where would you go??

Thanks very much in advance :)

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2013
I've been all around Ireland with the exception of the northern part on similar layovers. I'm guessing it's a similar thing for you. :)

First, minimize your time to Dublin to just a day or two max- I think it's one of those cities that I'd like to live in but doesn't have as much character compared to other places in Ireland. (I do recommend a daytrip out to Howth, Ireland tho- great little town with cliff walks at the end of one of the train lines- http://whereisyvette.com/2012/04/04/day ... h-ireland/ ) Other favorite places for me were Kilkenny- it really is the perfect little Irish town, look up when the comedy festival is in case your visit coincides- and Galway on the west coast. The Ring of Kerry is of course famous but didn't leave me totally impressed, part bc awful weather obscured the views, part Kilarney these days is just a big tourist town with little soul compared to others... I also think the Blarney Castle is not really worth going out of the way for. I mean if you're only going to Cork then sure, but wouldn't go wholly out of my way type thing.

As for getting around, usually train is the most expensive option so I relied on the bus system more- pretty good and honestly distances aren't that big so it's fine (example, Dublin to Galway, across the whole country, was 2 hours). In hindsight if there were more than one of me I think I'd rent a car a few days for the countryside parts, but I guess that's not as budget-y.

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2013
No cash, little time.

How about hitchhiking around Ireland. That can make the transport part cheaper. And stay in hostels - but be prepared to be stuck somewhere if you don't get a ride. My experience in Ireland was good with locals and hitchers got picked up a lot.

trappedintime456

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 21st, 2013
I would suggest seeing Blarney Castle as well. Or how about seeing St. Colman's Cathedral. It is just simply stunning. The Cliffs of Moher are also gorgeous to see. If you are in Dublin, you may wish to see Ireland's most famous prison, Kilmainham Jail.

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2013
I'd skip both Blarney Castle and the Cliffs of Moher.

Blarney is a huge tourist trap, and the way it's set up is quite dangerous (at least it was in 99). Plus, there's no difference in the "stone" from where they make you kiss it and the rest of the wall. The Cliffs of Moher are unspectacular, and very overrun with tourists. Head up to Slieve Cliffs in County Donnegal. Now those are absolutely amazing. If the weather's nice you can do some hiking around there.

The one tourist trap in (Northern) Ireland I do recommend is Giant's Causeway. If you're into geology, or just weird scenery, this is a place for you.

A nice town that I wished I had a few days to spend in last time I was in Ireland (Feb/March 2012) is Galway. I think I read somewhere that it's the most Irish city? Don't quote me on that. But I was a huge fan.

Dublin is just a big city, just like any other big city anywhere else. I'm never a fan, but if you end up there, it's worth a night or two for doing big city things.

I haven't done it, but I know that there's tons of hiking to do in Ireland. If you're strapped for cash, that's a way to spend your time, if the weather permits. The Ring of Kerry can be good to, weather permitting. It has to be a clear day to make it worth it.

Westport in County Mayo is a cute town. So is Kinsale in Southern Ireland. As is Cobh (pronounced Cove).
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

nurseandrea

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2013
Thanks very much everyone, we'll definitely be staying in hostels, and not taking too much time in Dublin. The hills and cliffs and such look stunning, so we'd love to get some hiking in....if we can make it work with the gear we have coming from asia.

We'll be looking more into things a little bit closer to the time we're leaving.
Thanks again!

Return to Europe Travel