Eire is more than just Guinness, green hills and redheads... Come talk about what makes Ireland so special.

indie/punk music scene, Dublin

echidna of doom

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: music, dublin, culture, nightlife
  • Added on: October 15th, 2008
I'm going to be in Dublin for St. Patty's day week (although I didn't come FOR St. Patty's day, I came because I had that week off from school). I'll be staying with my aunt who lives just off of Stephen's Green.

I've been up before but didn't get to check out the nightlife as much as I wanted to. In that department I'm kind of a concert-and-coffee shop kind of gal, but I'm open to nightclubs and bars in moderation, I guess; it would be more fun if I could find people to hang out with. I like indie and punk music. I also like traditional music, but when I was in Dublin last summer all the traditional music places seemed to be filled by the paunchy American tourists that I wanted to leave in the first place. So . . . where in Dublin do the music scene people hang out?

Calescence

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 15th, 2008
A calendar of shows at various venues can be found at:
http://www.dublinpubscene.com/entertainment/concerts.html

MCD has an online calendar as well, primarily of their artists:
http://www.mcd.ie/calendar/

Some local favorite venues: Bodkins, Whelans, Voodoo lounge

manktelr

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 22nd, 2008
You should check out The Cobblestone at the top of Smithfield square it generally has trad music in the bar part and some times other gigs in a different room or upstairs (think there's punk a bit of the time), can get quite packed though (not with paunchy american tourists though)

Eamon Dorans in Templebar might also be worth checking out as they have gig on there most nights of the week.

Calescence is the Voodoo lounge still going? haven' been there in ages but even then seemed to be on its last legs (think most of the taps were of and the fridges were nearly empty)

PhilGill

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2008
The music scene type people are generally found on wexford/camden street which is about a 5-10 minute walk from stephens green.
The best bar in the city for music is Anseo which is at the top of camden street. Excellent music. Dice bar on the north side is also great on a lively night.
For indie music you should check out whelans, its a great little gig venue but they play the same songs every night and it can get a little tiresome. There is a band that has a residency there on a monday night that are worth checking out, one of the guitarists plays inside a tent on the stage... quirky but fun.
The village next door is also a good bar - though the music out the back can be a little head wrecking.
A little further down the street towards town there is a bar called hogans, its a good place to meet people. With regards to trad music, cobblestones is a very good recommendation, the guinness there is also top notch.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/PhilGill/

Calescence

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2008
Mankteir,
It was last year. I won't be back to Ireland until late next year so I can't confirm its status as of now. Have a few trips to PR and India before I get back that way.

verbal

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 27th, 2008
There are a few places around Dublin where you can find really good indie or punk music. The Hub in Temple Bar is good (has that underground London club feel about it), Camden Street - places like Whelans, The Village and The Pod are good too... just be wary that these places can be a little pretentious at times and will be jammed out the door on a normal night, never mind Paddy's Day!!!

manktelr

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2008
not sure about this about this being accurate but as far as I can remember wheelans generally has a cover charge later on in the night (used to be 10 euro) so its best to get there before ten pm

Return to Ireland Travel