Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

insurance for nontraveling travelers

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 22nd, 2011
here's the deal...

i'm quitting my job in 6 weeks. i'll be traveling on/off. when i'm not traveling, i'll be at home hanging out or will have some kind of sucky temp job until my next trip. i'm not sure what to do about health insurance during non-travel time. i'm 35 so i'm clearly not eligible to be on my parent's insurance. i'm not a student either. i'm just a burn out who needs a break. as far as i can tell, i have two options... 1) no insurance 2) $150/mth for emergency medical insurance.

am i missing other options? i can't go without insurance, but $150/mth is gonna eat away at my savings. <sigh>

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I'm sure you can do better than $150. When I was your age (6 years ago), I bought a policy for about $50 a month. Granted, there was a fairly high deductible ($5,000 I think) but fortunately I never had to use the insurance. Look online at places like esurance or contact insurance brokers in your area.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Actually now that I think about it, definitely contact an insurance broker in your area. They should be well-versed in what your options are. I used one in California who was very helpful to me (my situation was quite complicated at the time), even though I'm sure he made very little money off my policy.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2011
You'll probably want to maintain insurance whether you are traveling or not. If the incident abroad is significant enough the travel insurance may elect to fly you home for treatment anyway where the costs are your burden once you return. Ehealthinsurance will give you a breakdown of all the plans and their associated costs available for your state. And cost does vary greatly by state. I'd opt for a super high deductible plan for real emergencies. Anything other than that I'd likely just fly to Thailand for cheaper treatment and a good vacation.

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

ok, so i was talking to my lil sis last night and she thought that was too much as well ($50 is what i was expecting and totally doable). the quote i got was actually from an insurance broker, however, i didn't get any other quotes. also, i'm just now looking into "catastrophic insurance". i don't care if there is a high deductible because i'm highly doubtful that anything will happen and i'm sure if something catastrophic actually happens $5000 or whatever won't seem like much.

i'll keep everybody posted. thanks!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

It pays to shop around as all insurance brokers are not created equal.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

lambchop

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2011
so here's where i'm at... it's likely that i'll go with a plan provided by my alma mater. turns out they provide short term health insurance to alumni for a good price and with good benefits. my plan will average $89/mth, but covers only the u.s. and doesn't cover extreme sports. i rock climb and paraglide so that's out for now. maybe after the 6mth plan is over i'll go with something a bit more expensive to cover me. one of the ones that i found for $118 didn't seem to mention extreme sports so that's an option for the future.

anyway, just post a status :)

Qwovadis

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2011
www.eHealthInsurance.com

Good comp site decent insurance with preventive care

from Quality companies like Humana

from $40/mo or so for the younger crowd.

Might have a look at something like that.

Happy Hunting,

Return to Health and Travel