Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

ipad2 vs netbook for rtw travel

skottandshawna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 2nd, 2011
Hey all - currently planning a rtw journey with my wife, leaving mid-June. We need a computer of some sort to update our blog www.getupandglobe.com (shameless plug), photo edit, and Skype...we are not super knowledgeable when it comes to computers etc, so looking for advice....my brother in law is a huge Apple fan, and is thinking the ipad2 may be awesome for our needs. We played around with it last night, and in that limited time it is tough to argue....are there any cons to this? We would likely take it with the external keyboard, and even so it still seems ridiculously lightweight and compact...thoughts? Would you take the ipad2 on your round the world journey?

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I wouldn't personally but that's because I can't stand macs. :) Other concerns I would have:

much bigger theft target than a netbook
more expensive than a netbook
hard to repair on the road as macs are much less popular than PCs
i wouldn't want to have to carry multiple pieces (i.e. cover, ipad, keyboard, stand, etc.)
more delicate than a netbook
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This has come up a few times, but I can't imagine the conversation has changed much between the iPad and the iPad 2. Have you checked out any of the past threads/did they fail to address any questions you may have? Other than that, if you're not truly computer savvy and you won't know the difference anyway, you may want to consider simply picking up an iPad 1 for cheap.

Also, it's generally considered poor form to re-post the same message in multiple forums, especially when plugging a website or product, so you may want to consider deleting one of them.

Anybody regret NOT bringing a laptop

Macbook Air or Netbook?

Anyone regret bringing their laptops?

Laptop? Netbook? iPad?

iPad

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2011
Ready to take off again & my ACER netbook died, will replace it with another ACER when I hit San Antonio (cheaper than here in SV) but that's just my preference.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

NOn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2011
Personally couldn't imagine typing for any length of time on a touch screen, and I'm also pretty sceptical about the ipad's photo editing abilities... I think you will probably start to find it frustrating when trying to do "real" tasks over a long term, they're great to play with for a while, but there's the thing... it still more of a toy than a tool IMHO.

I use macs and pcs all the time, and I'd definately go for a pc netbook over an ipad any day - they are much more versatile - certainly much more and better software available (even open source freebies), you will get a much larger harddrive up to 250gb as opposed to 64gb (or whatever the biggest ipad is these days) and they are about half the price, so less of an upset if it does get nicked. :)

helloxjed

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2011
Although my longterm travel experience is limited, I cannot say enough good things about my netbook. I purchased a 2nd generation ASUS Eee PC in... 2008? 2009? It's been dropped, chock full o'viruses, carried between college classes, jostled, and spilled upon and is still running like a dream.

Echoing other posters, I'd definitely avoid an iPad (or tablet, in general) for your purposes. A touchscreen just isn't going to be good enough for typing anything of substance and the photo editing capabilities are truly limited without peripheral mouses (yes, that's the plural-- nerd here!) and keyboards. And that's just another thing to pack. To boot, iPads are slick and shiny and big theft-targets.

Go with a netbook for sure. They may not be as slim and elegant as the iPad but they're far more functional, easier to repair, and, hell, cheaper. With the tablets being all in vogue now, you can buy a top-of-the-line netbook for next to nothing.

evening

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2011
Ive gotten mixed answers on my question about the ability to upload pictures to the ipad without a computer - something you may want to look into...

At the NYC Apple store, 2 different sales people confirmed what I had previously read online - Apple has a card reader adapter for 1 type of card only (I dont remember the card, but my cameras' cards are CF, SDHC and it wasnt either of them). On Tripadvisor, I was advised this is not correct and you can plug the camera into a USB port on the ipad.

I tend to believe the people at Apple..

Now that Ive developed a site, I have to bring my laptop with my but Im not doing RTW....

edited because I can write guidebooks - I am NOT guidebook dependent!
Check out my site - suitcaseready.com
I am not Guidebook Dependent!

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I'd vote for the netbook too. I brought one on my last RTW trip and I'd never go back to traveling with anything else. Mine even had a slot for an SD card right in it. Having the keyboard attached was nice, the fact that it folds up to protect the screen is nice, and although it's not as thin as an iPad, It isn't exactly bulky either. Plus having the full hard drive to store photos on was great!

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Oh, and those "Apple fans" are like cult members.... don't drink their Kool-aid! :splitform:

partymarty4870

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2011
definately the Netbook - just easier cheaper and more practical
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

flipnomad

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2011
depends on your preference but im using a netbook and im also blogging about my travels... its cheaper (my emachine cost me just $250) and have more space for saving pictures...

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets