Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Iran - ANY type of advice or recommendation appreciated.

disaster

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 23rd, 2010
Ok, so I've decided that I am definitely going Syria, Jordan (and possibly Egypt) next year (hopefully April-May), I should be able to take 4-5 weeks off from work, I am currently planning everything out and I'm really excited. So that's sorted.
However, I started thinking that since I'm gonna have to wait a little bit for my trip I might treat myself and go elsewhere, maybe a for a week - 10 days and Iran came up. I've had a look at flights (to Tehran)and blimey, they are about the same cost as my Xmas flight from London to Warsaw, so it's a great thing. I already know that as a Polish passport holder I get visa on arrival, but what do I do after I arrive?
I'm a female and I will be alone. I've heard a lot of of great things about Iran and it's people, I know the dresscode is strict, I know I will need a headscarf and I'm fine with that.
I am having problems with finding info on hostels in Iran, are there any? I don't wanna be alone in a hotel. And what shall I do within 7-10 days whilst I'm there.
Guys help me out please, any tips, info etc greatly appreciated.

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 24th, 2010
VISAs are hard to get for Iran... GAP Adventures has a few tours of Iran and I would LOVE to go on this overland tour from Tashkent, Uzbekistan to Istanbul, Turkey via Tehran... But because of my itinerary I had to forego a trip to Iran because I left home in the beginning of May and am having to get most of my VISAs on the road... Iran really wants you to get your VISA from your home country before you head off on travel... I would love to go to Iran and have done quite a bit of research but have decided that when I do go to Iran, it will be with GAP Adventures... You could pay a travel agency to help you get a VISA and to arrange your accommodations, etc. and then you could avoid going with a tour group but there are a few countries that really are well suited for organized tours, Bhutan and Iran among them...

good luck!

Renee

disaster

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2010
Thanks mate but I think you should have paid attention to what I wrote before replying.

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2010
Well, I thought I had read what you wrote and I did miss the ONE sentence where you said "I already know that as a Polish passport holder I get visa on arrival".

Sorry for overlooking this very important distinction.... and sorry if I did not take time to more carefully read your post before responding....

I hope you get responses from non-Americans because Iran is pretty much closed off to anyone with an American passport except for organized tours & a very few travel agencies, unless we are married or have other family in Iran... This is basically all I was trying to say...

circusoflife

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 6th, 2010
I was in Iran for a week this past September 2010. I am USA citizen...so I went on a tour - originally 2 weeks, but I cut it to 1 week for various reasons.

Got my visa in Iran embassy in Jordan.

Visited Tehran, Esfahan, and Shiraz, and overland one day travel by private car from Esfahan - Tehran.
Stopped in Kerman/Kashan? I forget the name...visited a small village, also drove right by Natanz nuclear facility...numerous AA guns.

Tehran has a modern Chinese built subway system...even with separate car for females if you want.
But above ground traffic can be chaotic...sprawling city.

Shiraz relaxed, Esfahan more paranoid - hotel kept passport, while no in Shiraz. Although this could just be individual hotels....Internet blocked more in Esfahan. Esfahan is scenic city to walk around in by river banks.

Must bring all money with you...no access to ATMs...

What specifics would you like to know?

Return to Middle East Travel