Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

iran/pakistan border, best avoided?

skipp1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 27th, 2006
hello there. I'm planning a trip around july, my initial plan was to go from iran through pakistan to india, if i can afford at least 2 months away, if for financial reasons i cant get away for much more then a month i will probably go to syria and lebanon.
My question is this, i have heard many stories of the iran pakistan border being exceptionally lawless and dangerous, does any one know if this is the case? i've been around, and i'm not scared to easily but i wouldn't mind staying alive. I have heard amazing things about all of the above regions, EXCEPT for southern pakistan. Does anyone have any experiences or advice? for it would be greatly appreciated! is it best avoided?
I am also starting to realise that it would be an insult to these countries to try and stuff all 3 into 2 months so i might just be better of working my way down into india from north pakistan
I am a Dutch/Irish national so from what i have understood visas are obtainable.

semicolon

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 27th, 2006
Southern Afghanistan is particularly troublesome. Kandahar/Helmand provinces for example. As long as you stay away from Quetta in So. Pakistan and Baluchistan you should be alright.
Just keep your eyes open.

Tot Zeins.
Self-determining karma wannabe....

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2006
I haven't done this myself. But I met a great many travelers in Pakistan who came from Iran and none of them had any bad experiences (except maybe overpaying a few rides). Pakistan, even on its westerly borders is generally OK. There are certain things Pakistanis don't do - so why should you. Stick to the local customs and you'll be fine. I'd personally stay away from any 'tourist' transportation (if there is any) as obviously that is a more lucrative target for scams, robberies, etc. Share cabs and buses with locals and likelihood is, you're gonna be OK.
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

smoothwndrnk

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2007
you might as well visit southern afghanistan if your in that area, i hear its nice this time of year, watch for roadside bombs and random ambushes along the highway though.

skipp1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2007
Thanks for info, i'm still not sure what its going to be but i'll probably stick to pakistan and india, only because 2 months is a short time even for just the 2 above countries without including iran aswell. I wasn't planning on going to afganistan smooth, i'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2007
Yeah, 2 months is definitely not much. I spent that in Pakistan alone. You probably want to stick to India's north-west as anything else would be rushed. Where are you flying into? Delhi?

As you'll have to cross the border at Amritsar/Lahore, you'll definitely go to Amritsar, my favorite place in India. Stay at the golden temple - the nights there are truly an experience and the Sikhs are very welcoming and warm people.
In Pakistan, I'd recommend going up to the Hunza valley, you can't go wrong with that. Gilgit is probably the best 'base', but Karimabad was by far my favorite place on the KKH. The lower SWAT valley is really nice as well...although there's not much to do there and hiking is recommended with a guard only. If you have time, by all means go to Peshawar. It's Pakistani-Afghan population make for a good experience of the culture and there are plenty of 'touristy' things to do...like going to the gun manufacturing towns and shoot a few AK-47s (I didn't do it. I've been to the army and shooting rifles really doesn't give me a thrill anymore.). Go to eat in the old town in the evenings...great atmosphere, probably how we all imagine it would be in a Muslim country.

Here a few pics:

Karimabad, KKH

Sufi action, Lahore

Madyan, Lower SWAT valley

Lake Saptara, Skardu Valley

Shia 'mourning celebration', Rawalpindi
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

Return to Asia Travel