Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Is Iran safe to drive border to border

yes it is safe
25%
no its not safe
No votes
it will be Dangerous and risky
63%
The risk is acceptable
13%

Total votes : 8

Is Iran safe to overland through?

T-

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 22nd, 2007
A friend and I are planning to drive through Turkey Iran and Pakistan on our own in a 4x4. I at this point no nothing of Iran. Is it safe? I expect along the line to get ripped off and over charged that is a given, but aside from that harmless stuff is it safe?
Death is nothing to be feared, but rather the unlived life -- Tuck Ever Lasting
You gotta keep on keepin on -- Joe Dirt

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I'm definitely no expert, as I haven't been to Iran, but I wouldn't be too worried, so long as you have all the required visas and paperwork for the vehicle. Contact the nearest embassy to find out what all would be involved.

Much as those of us in the west like to think that governments we disagree with are a danger, that's really not the case. Iran has a strong and stable central government. That's all that's really required to provide security. Frankly, I'd be more worried about Pakistan, since many regions of that country notoriously run their own affairs, and it's that sort of arrangement that allows lawlessness to thrive.

Keep an eye on Juniour in Washington, though...it's his itchy trigger finger that could change all that.

aopaq

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I was in Iran a couple years ago and found it very safe as the Iranian people are incredibly friendly and hospitable.
I think your biggest concern as a Canadian will be getting a visa (I have been trying again for two years without much success).

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2007
Considering there is a rumor that the US is planning on invading Iran to "liberate" its people, I suggest you wait until a Democrat wins the presidential election next year.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

Continental Op

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by heymikey:
Considering there is a rumor that the US is planning on invading Iran to "liberate" its people.

That plan is off. We've decided to liberate the Northwest Passage instead. Sleep well. Razz

As someone already mentioned, I'd be more worried about Pakistan. Getting there from Iran will require you to go through Baluchestan. Folks tend to disappear in Baluchestan. Drug traffickers, criminal gangs, and impoverished locals who can make a quick dollar by kidnapping and selling a couple of westerners to "interested parties" will be plentiful. This is the poorest region in Iran, and to many you and your 4x4 will look like a gift from heaven. Keep that in mind.

No offense, but...

If you have to ask the question here on BnA, then that means you don't know the territory. If you don't know that particular territory, then you won't be safe there. Stick to Turkey and northern Iran, and/or fly to Pakistan rather than drive through Baluch territory.

Anyone who tells you it is completely safe is blowing smoke up your ass. Persians are a warm and hospitable people, as are Pakistanis. But you will be going through their ghetto. And their ghetto is likely a good deal more dangerous than any you've visited before.
Please note: the above member, who is the very model of a modern major-general, with information vegetable, animal, and mineral, has retired from BnA and won't be able to answer any follow-up questions. To speak with him, use the PM function.

T-

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I asked the question because I want to know what I am getting myself into. I come to BnA to here other peoples first hand experience. Also because I usually find encouragment here. You never really know what your getting yourself into till you get there with any trip. thats partly why im going to do it. I just want to be prepared as possible

Continental Op

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by T-:
Also because I usually find encouragment here.

I'm the first guy to say "well, you're gonna die of something eventually anyway." And I certainly don't want to discourage you from a good, old-fashioned adventure. At the same time, I don't want to gloss over the ugly bits. It'd be like sending you into the Hillsborough River without telling you about the gators.

You will be going through some dangerous territory that isn't usually on the western traveler's Pakistani and Iranian itinerary. It's one thing to say "You'll be perfectly safe in Tehran and Islamabad with nothing but your wits and a copy of Lonely Planet." It's quite another to say "You'll be fine driving through Baluchestan" armed with nothing but the same. This isn't anything like arriving in Istanbul without a guidebook and just "winging it."

I really recommend that you do as much research as possible into the territory and the landscape before driving through such areas. There are a few ethnic conflicts going on in Baluch country, and few Booties have any experience with that sort of climate. It ain't Bali. It ain't even Kabul. In other words, only one or two people on these boards are equipped to give you first hand advice about such travel, and even that advice will be fairly situational.

Again, I don't want to discourage you, but this isn't the kind of trip where you just head over and figure it out as you go along.
Please note: the above member, who is the very model of a modern major-general, with information vegetable, animal, and mineral, has retired from BnA and won't be able to answer any follow-up questions. To speak with him, use the PM function.

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 27th, 2007
Yeah, it's likely that there are only one or two people on these boards who know the territory, but that's what makes BNA so useful for this kind of advise. Some members will have been there.

There's nothing wrong with coming here for advise, and I'm sure that T is looking into other research as well (aren't you Wink) Saying that, the poll is probably a poor indication if you don't ask people who have done this trip.

Spend as much time as possible on planning and keep your ears close to the local grapevine.

Continental Op

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by whalewatcher:
Yeah, it's likely that there are only one or two people on these boards who know the territory, but that's what makes BNA so useful for this kind of advise.

Except that when I happened upon this poll there were already two votes, both of which said "sure, it's safe." That's the danger of asking such questions on BnA. Folks tend to dispense sweeping advice about a country based on their small experience visiting one or two cities in 2003. Again, this isn't Bali. And Baluchistan isn't Tehran, Istanbul, or Islamabad.

Tell you what. Let me be somewhat less cryptic. As one of those one or two members who know the territory, I'd advise you to stay out of Baluchistan. Why? Because:

1.) Iranian security forces are themselves frequently attacked and sometimes kidnapped in that territory. The Iranian government likes to attribute these attacks to Jundallah, a Sunni separatist group in the region, but there are many different groups with many different motivations in the area. The truth is that the Iranians have no control over the territory. These groups move back and forth between the the Iranian and Pakistani Baluch border, and they do so without government restraint, as both governments are afraid to deal with them due to their own poor knowledge of who is running the show. You will thus be driving through an area that Iranian and Pakistani military forces, which aren't known for their restraint, refuse to go through.

2.) It is extremely difficult to get accurate, up-to-date intelligence on this area. The dangerous folks in question are on the move constantly, so no one will be able to tell you "such and such a road is safe at this time on this day of the week" as they can in the Northwest Frontier Province. Even those private intelligence companies like iJet, Sratfor, Jane's, etc won't have much up to date information on this subject. They might be able to tell you who the U.S. and/or Iranians think is in charge, but that won't really help you safely navigate through the region. There are no up to date maps from any source that can be relied upon to plot you safety across Baluchistan. Even the U.S., Iranian, and Pakistani intelligence agencies lack such maps.

3.) It is a lawless area, and locals have grown used to functioning that way. As such, it will be difficult for you to find a trustworthy guide once on the ground. You could contact Reporters Without Borders or the like, as they might have someone in the region you could speak with. He or she, in turn, may have more up to date information and suggestions as to a trustworthy guide. There are a few small groups of local journalists in Baluchistan. You might also try contacting them for info. Again, however, it's rough terrain with folks living in horrible conditions. The amount you may pay a guide will not be enough to guarantee that he puts your safety before his own economic interests.

If you still want to drive through there, then you will need to do more than internet and travel guide research. Again, give a few journalists in the region a call. See if you can find someone with up to date road maps and knowledge of newly brokered deals with civilian leaders regarding road use and "safe zones."

And, of course, be safe and have a good time. Taking all of the above into consideration, I'm sure many folks drive through the territory without so much as a scratch all the time. Maybe you'll be one of those.

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

If it were me, I would just take buses. You would meet more people that way and spend less time at gas stations and dealing with carnets. Ever tried to read an Iranian gas pump? You are in for a surprise.

And please: "overland" is not a verb.

Prisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Might I also suggest that you are entering an area of little (good) Western Influence. Sure you're not American, but you're just as bad to them. It is imparative that you learn yourself some Farsi, and the local customs. Because there are a lot of people there you dont want to piss off.

Sometimes roads are safe and sometimes they arn't. It's really sorta a roll of the dice. I know one guy that crossed a rather dangerous pass in Pakistan just fine. Told the guy he met on the other side, guy took the same path and was shot. It's a gamble. It could be a completely fun and worthwhile one, but dont underestimate what could happen and prepare yourself for what you would do in those situations.
PS. Normally I wouldn't ask but where you're going it matters: What are the genders here?
Of cabbages -- and kings --
And why the sea is boiling hot --
And whether pigs have wings

T-

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 29th, 2007
Thank you every one. You have given me some really serious food for thought. that is exactly what I was lookiing for.

P.S PRISA...we are both male

Mr. Chris D

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 2nd, 2007
Hi T-,

Here's a story you may find interesting:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCTjGgt2YPeS2QYW8Wy0z4MM7esA
------------------------------
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...we won't get fooled again.

Insert Stereotype Here

travel_tech

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 5th, 2008
I vote "the risk is acceptable" Razz

Americanglobetrekker

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2008
I definately would not drive thru Iran as an American and am not sure if I would if I was Canadian. I most definately would not drive through Pakistan though
Carpe Noctrine

Return to Middle East Travel