Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Is it possible to driving from Costa Rica to Panama?

Wookie

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 22nd, 2010
We will be volunteering in Bambu costa rica for a month and then heading south (Caribbean coast) and want to cross into Panama and visit Bocos Del Toro and explore from there for fly to Panama City.

Is there an official border crossings here? We are looking at maps and while we see a road, it doesn't look too official. Are their roads that we can take taxi or buses and we can cross into Panama?

Any other recommendation? We would like to get from the southern most point in costa rica on the Caribbean coast into Panama?

Thanks for any help.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2010
I don't know what you think is going on down there, but they got roads. Costa Rica is pretty built up, and so is Panama.

Canoas is the best crossing. It's on the Pacific side. Very good road, and pretty quick. the other border I've crossed, the one between Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro (to make the towns easy for you to find online) is called Guabito. That's on the Caribbean side. It is an ANCIENT railroad trestle that does take vehicles. But the bridge is ridiculous. It's only big enough for one vehicle at one direction at a time...and is the same bridge that pedestrians and big rigs use to cross.(it's something to see...but damn) Canoas is for you. If I were you, I'd knuckle through the different passport offices myself, rather than pay one of the local expediters to do it for you....Follow an expediter, if you're lost. It is easy...

Good Luck Out There.

D
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2010
Paso Canoas is the main crossing, on the Pan-American Highway. It's easy. They'll spray down your vehicle upon entering Panama, and I think you need a carnet, but it should be pretty straightforward. There is also a crossing west of Volcan Baru, and then the one Piecar mentioned between Sixaola and Guabito. I've done Paso Canoas and Sixaola - the former is much more heavily trafficked than Sixaola, which is indeed an old railroad trestle.

Ciudad Neily is the last town of any size on the Costa Rica side. There isn't much on the Panama side until you reach David City, which is a useful crossroads (although the city itself isn't much to look at).

Wookie

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 10th, 2010
thanks. we were going to go through the panama side (as we'll be in bambu costa rica prior). however some civil issues just broke and there is now a travel warning to not use that crossing. We aren't even sure we can/should go to bocos del toro. any thoughts?

Return to Central America Travel