Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Is Kayak.com the first place you look for cheap flights?

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: kayak, airfare
  • Added on: April 6th, 2011
Does anyone know how these flights are so cheap?

I just did a search for fun on Skyscanner, and I found a one-way flight from Vancouver to London, and it was a $250 CDN direct flight. How...is...this...possible? I can't help but get that 'too good to be true' feeling when a same flight on Air Canada would be $1500 CDN! :?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
938961 wrote:Does anyone know how these flights are so cheap?

I just did a search for fun on Skyscanner, and I found a one-way flight from Vancouver to London, and it was a $250 CDN direct flight. How...is...this...possible? I can't help but get that 'too good to be true' feeling when a same flight on Air Canada would be $1500 CDN! :?

Most likely a deal to fill the plane, I've seen Toronto to Manchester $99 +taxes return. Can fly Toronto to Bangkok just over $800 taxes in while normally a flight Vancouver to Toronto costs that. :crazy:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

NickTheNomad

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2011
Check out the Matrix flight aggregator, it's my favorite flight search engine.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2011

Was that London, England or London, Ontario? Just a thought....

Scritch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2011
For what it's worth, Bing Travel, after originally copying their interface/design/system from Kayak, is now powered by Kayak's search results, in addition to several other Microsoft-specific sources.

So I've had good luck with Bing Travel, and it's fairly rapid. New Orleans to Bangkok for $906, when the lowest price on Matrix was $80 higher than that, although the ability to search for the lowest fare across a 30-day period on Matrix is fantastic.

I ended up picking four potential departure dates, searching for them in Bing Travel, and then bookmarking the search results pages. Every now and then, I'd check them, and when the price was low enough, I bought my ticket.

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2011
When I try to use skyscanner, it never seems to have results for very many days out of the month. For instance, I just tried searching for a 1-way ticket from LAX to BKK, and only 9 out of 30 days had results. Then I have to go back and forth comparing prices and writing down the cheapest dates manually. Am I using this wrong?

I usually use kayak/bing with the flexible dates +3days before/after search. If I'm flying in the same region, then I would use whichbudget and try to search on those budget airlines sites directly.

I've never used ITA search, but I've heard it mentioned quite a few times. Would it help me find a cheaper route flying 1-way from LAX to BKK? Or is it better suited for flying between smaller cities like Burbank to a small airport nearby Miami? Is this superior to kayak's "Search nearby airports" checkbox?

Previous

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel