Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Is Kayak.com the first place you look for cheap flights?

skottandshawna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: kayak, airfare
  • Added on: March 20th, 2011
Just in the midst of getting a few approx prices for some flights we will likely be taking for our upcoming RTW....now I have been checking farecompare.com, cheapoair.com, and a few others...I know that it generally pays to look at a few of these discount flight sites, but what is the first site you usually try, or better worded, which site more often than not, finds you the flight you are looking for (i.e. the cheap one)?

Thanks!

Pieje

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
kayak and fly.com is what i mostly use
travelblog --> www.mytb.org/pieje

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

flightnetwork & cheapoair are pretty good but lots of times American Airlines, in NA/CA or Air Asia when in Asia will offer just as good prices 8-)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Yes. I usually do a basic search on Kayak, see who's offering the cheapest or most direct flights then go to their website.

I've found a lot of times that flights are even cheaper from the airline website itself.
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I usually take a look at whichbudget to see if there's any oddball airlines I haven't thought of, and then I check ITA Software. Kayak isn't great for people looking to buy tickets without a US credit card + address, as some of the sites they search won't accept out-of-country mailing addresses, and I don't find them to be much use at route finding. I really like ITA's nearby airports feature, which offers a lot of detailed control.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Yeah, I usually start with Kayak because of their flexible date search. Another site that I've recently become aware of is www.hipmunk.com They give you some interesting options for sorting results.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2011
I think most of the time kayak.com and whichbudget.com get most of them, though skyscanner.com is worth a look as well. In all these cases however I head to the airline's website itself instead of clicking through the interim website as often sites will list tickets as more expensive than they really are (I lived in a Continental hub city and they routinely tack on an extra $20 just for using kayak- thanks guys!).

If you are under 26/a student/ a teacher, however, it is really worth your while to do a search on studentuniverse.com or statravel.com particularly if you're planning well in advance. I flew to Bangkok on less than $600 through STA Travel two years back, and to Nairobi for about that a few months back, both from the States. :)

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Found Skyscanner to be very good:
http://www.skyscanner.net/
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

If given the same perameters, most search engines will find the same result. But I find Skyscanner SOOOOO much better. You have the freedom to search a country, not just a city. Plus you can scan an entire month to find the best days to fly. Not to mention, a quick test (Istanbul-Casablanca) came up $1 cheaper on Skyscanner.
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Anyone have an explanation? I just checked a flight YYZ-BKK for May 3, 2011.

Sky scanner was $866 on Aero Svit

Cheapo air was $560 on Aero Svit :?
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:Anyone have an explanation? I just checked a flight YYZ-BKK for May 3, 2011.

Because the CheapOAir price doesn't include taxes. If you click on "Book" you'll see that the taxes are $300, making it virtually equivalent to the Skyscanner price.

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I usually find & buy my airfare on vayama.com

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

BootsnAll's Cheap Ticket Links isn't a bad place to start either. You can search most of the major OTA's with one search and we also have links to most of the sites listed here so you can go to those directly as well.

Full disclosure, you will be helping out BnA by using that site, but there are no extra fees for doing so.
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2011
EMH wrote:
busman7 wrote:Anyone have an explanation? I just checked a flight YYZ-BKK for May 3, 2011.

Because the CheapOAir price doesn't include taxes. If you click on "Book" you'll see that the taxes are $300, making it virtually equivalent to the Skyscanner price.

Thanks, as I was just guesstimating the travel date I didn't go to book :oops:

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2011
busman7 wrote:
EMH wrote:

Thanks, as I was just guesstimating the travel date I didn't go to book :oops:

Ah and here I thought you chose May 3rd cause it's my birthday and you wanted to give me a present for saying nice things about San Salvador. :lol:

Next

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel