Tell us what you think of BootsnAll.com. The good, the bad and the ugly - whatever is on your mind. Let us know what new features and information you'd like to see. Suggest ways we can make the BootsnAll community even stronger. Be honest.

Is this really a new home for Thorn tree Refugees?

MENDOZAYANK

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 11th, 2013
Will this forum step up to the plate to be a replacemnt for Thorn Tree, or is it just another commerical, heavily-controlled site?

My concern about this recently discovered forum is that it may be too-controlled, like Tripadvisor, to draw users in but controlling anything that threatens the advertising component of the website. I guess I will still find out.

Older lady backpacker now living and teaching English in Mendoza Argentina. Raised in the US, but I have Argentine citizenship through my parents, and now living in ancestral home here after the death of my Godmother aunt.

I am looking for another travel forum to play with after the boondoggle of Thorn Tree (under handle of mendocinateacher , perhaps some of you have read some of my posts there). I posted extensively there, as it was a great, free , open and fun travel forum, but recent BBC interference temporarily closed it down, and since reopening (with South America section still closed down ). A shame because there was an incredible wealth of info there, much of which may be lost forever.

My questions to members here: Is this site a possible replacement? Is there heavy censorship? My concern is that it is heavily moderated, which may explain why there is not much traffic here. Any alternative travel forums anyone can recommend?

Help, I need a replacement for my ThornTree deprivation!

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

BNA is nothing like the farce of a forum for AI tourists that TA has become. :)

I came here when the BBC bought & ruined TT years ago, sure it's slow but has quality advise compared to the quantity of BS offered by mainly sketchy posters on TT. 8-)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

LoneRunner

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Another deceived regular poster of the TT ! After 12 years there, here I am ! Orphaned ! :(

A thread for Maurtitius will be most welcomed !

;) LR

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

Welcome to BootsnAll, MendozaYank (aka mendocinateacher) and LoneRunner.

Kicking a Mauritius thread off in the Africa forum can be your first order of business, LR.
What makes an Indie traveler? Discuss the Indie Travel Manifesto
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2013
MENDOZAYANK wrote:Will this forum step up to the plate to be a replacemnt for Thorn Tree, or is it just another commerical, heavily-controlled site?

My concern about this recently discovered forum is that it may be too-controlled, like Tripadvisor, to draw users in but controlling anything that threatens the advertising component of the website. I guess I will still find out.

Older lady backpacker now living and teaching English in Mendoza Argentina. Raised in the US, but I have Argentine citizenship through my parents, and now living in ancestral home here after the death of my Godmother aunt.

I am looking for another travel forum to play with after the boondoggle of Thorn Tree (under handle of mendocinateacher , perhaps some of you have read some of my posts there). I posted extensively there, as it was a great, free , open and fun travel forum, but recent BBC interference temporarily closed it down, and since reopening (with South America section still closed down ). A shame because there was an incredible wealth of info there, much of which may be lost forever.

My questions to members here: Is this site a possible replacement? Is there heavy censorship? My concern is that it is heavily moderated, which may explain why there is not much traffic here. Any alternative travel forums anyone can recommend?

Things are pretty slow here and have been for a few years. Everyone has their own theory about why but it has nothing to do with censorship (look for a post called "Is this forum dying"). Perhaps if a few more Thorn Tree refugees come here things will liven up a bit.

I see very little evidence of moderation here. We haven't really needed it because for the most part we're pretty civil with one another. Much more so than on Thorn Tree. The only thing we don't tolerate is commercial spam in any form.

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2013
Thanks for the continued thoughts about "replacing" the thorn tree. To be honest - we've never wanted to replace them - we've been a place for the refugees of the TT. :) - We've been using the Thorn Tree Refugee moniker for at least 6 years - well before they had the issues the past few weeks.

As far as being a "commercial site" that controls the boards. Not sure what to say about that.

1) Yes - we are venture that aims to be sustainable
2) We don't make $$, and never have off the forums. The little bit of advertising we have up here is nothing close to the money spent to keep them up, manage them over the years.
3) Our Purpose as a site and has been for 15 years is - to cultivate an organic community that encourages independent travel - The forums here have been historically and big part of that.

As I said in another thread recently, we are going to make some changes, less boards, more focus in hopes that more value is shared.

I appreciate all of your "takes" both positive and critical. Keep'em coming. Happy New Year!

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2013
MENDOZAYANK wrote:Will this forum step up to the plate to be a replacemnt for Thorn Tree

There will never be a replacement for Thorn Tree, there are other travel forums each with their own style, but you can't replicate another. LPTT was the largest online travel forum with several non-destination branches with a lot of traffic in both camps.

Since its partial sale to the BBC, there began a downward slide - members were asked their opinions about new developments which were cheerfully ignored and the BBC implemented them anyway.

When the final 25% was in their hands and they (BBC) owned LP lock, stock and (smoking) barrel, things went from bad to worse. WoS was first to go last year, and it was really only a matter of time before the others went as well. It is my belief the non-travel branches were on their hit list, but it happened sooner rather than later with the alleged email from a former disgruntled member who it is said, made certain allegations regarding LPTT. Had the BBC not been smarting from the Jimmy Savile accusations which they have receive considerable flak over, they may not have gone into panic mode.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Lucky Luke

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 22nd, 2013
Woooah! Whistler, welcome back... don't think I've seen you round these parts for a couple years!
In fact, after a month away myself (actually doing some travel instead of just reading about other people's!) I'm pleasantly surprised that one side effect of the whole TT silliness seems to be the return of a few old faces.
Nice to see y'all round!

RTWtraveller

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 5th, 2014
Hello everyone. I also am a former, long-time member of Thorn Tree. It has been hell during the last two years on Thorn Tree. Countless number of posts continue to be arbitrarily and haphazardly deleted, edited, censored by the Thorn Tree Nazi Moderators. It feels like a prison state controlled by oppressive, tyrannical extremist moderators which is why I and so many others have left Thorn Tree. Here's just one example: There was a discussion on the decline of Thorn Tree and someone had posted a news link easily available on the web http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1205 ... sex-posts/ that described the origin of Thorn Tree's troubles. But the Nazi moderators deleted the posts without an explanation.

I hope BootsnAll is better than Thorn Tree. And expect many more Thorn Tree refugees to come here. Cheers!

Return to Feedback, Ideas, Compliments and Complaints