Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Is this budget information accurate?

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 26th, 2011
Take a minute to read their criteria...

Seems a bit low to me, but, this is my first RTW so I have no first hand experience. What do some of your more experienced people think?

http://www.priceoftravel.com/755/asian- ... -for-2011/

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2011
Looks about right to me, though I always take the food portion of any 'budget' with a grain of salt unless they specify what kind of meals you are getting for the price.

I ate in better places in some areas, and in others, I lived off of cheap lunch trucks and Thali restaurants that have seemed 'dirt cheap'

For example.

One filling meal in Aguascalientes, Peru, just before one takes the train to Machu Pichu.

market: 1-4 dollars
Restaurants in town. 6 to 12 dollars after all is said and done

I think I paid less for my rathole of a hostel in Mumbai, but it probably didn't meet the minimum quality level of the budget. The other choice, even cheaper., was the Salvation army hostel, but THEY had rampant bedbugs. No thanks.

So they're more or less in line, I suppose.

BTW- thesd are asian prices. Jump to Europe and just about double that, not counting the lower exchange rate for the dollar. Usually, what you get for a buck here is what you get for a euro there.

When in doubt, pick a higher number as an estimate. That way you won't find yourself in the position of 30 days left and no money except for the pre-paid plane ticket.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 27th, 2011
I agree- while I don't think the prices are a bad rule of thumb you definitely won't always adhere to such numbers.

A classic example is if you sometimes just arrive in a super cheap spot you'll pay a little more to upgrade to the next level of accommodation. I definitely did this in Siem Reap, Cambodia for example because while sure you can get a good $3/night room one two-three times that was akin to a hotel-type room in the Western world, so I sprung for it. I mean at the end of the day I was still paying like $10/night (probably less, I can't quite recall) which is a steal but not quite that big a steal.

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Gotcha.

So for instance..on this list, cities in Vietnam appear to be very cheap, i.e. 10-15 dollars per day. Is it safe to make the following assumptions?

If a major city in Vietnam is $10-15 per day, a smaller city off the typical tourist trail would be less than that?

People have told me to expect about $25-30 USD per day in Vietnam. With these cost per day estimates, are they including intra-country travel?

I've been saving for three major expenditures; major flights, costs per country per day, and intracountry travel. Is it possible the intracountry budget will be covered by my costs per country per day budget?

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

You also have to budget for unforeseen extras that while unnecessary, would be a shame to pass up. Like on a bus tour on Fraser Island, when driving down the beach we stopped at a plane parked there, the pilot came on board offering rides for $60AUD. As it was a once in a lifetime chance to fly over a tropical rain-forest growing on a sandbar, I couldn't refuse.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

seabass43

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2011
Those seem rather low to me. But it all depends on what type of traveler you are.

My wife and I went on a year-long RTW in 08-09. We spent about 3.5 months in SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos), and we averaged about $70US/day total for both of us. That cost included accommodations, food, overland transport, and any activity we took part in. We typically stayed in hostels and guesthouses, but we always got a private room, which was typically around $20-$25US. But we tried to stay in nice places when we could. We had our own bathroom and a/c quite a bit. It is certainly possible to get a dorm bed for $5-10. Food is cheap if you eat street food, and you should because it's incredible. Not hard to get a meal for around $1-2 in all SE Asian countries. You can travel overland for pretty cheap in most countries as well, especially if you are willing to go the overcrowded, uncomfortable mini-bus route. If you're looking for more comfort, you will spend more obviously, but not an exorbitant amount.
Check out my new blog http://www.journeyofatravelwriter.com or browse our blog about our RTW at http://www.thewanderyear.com

Dustin Brett

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2011
I think those prices are not bad but you have to consider that accommodations will be a big part of it and those prices vary a lot. For example there price for Mumbai is way higher than I paid for accommodation, I paid Rs. 225 and they paid Rs. 700. It depends what a "Cheap/good hostel" means to you I think.

Same goes for "Transportation", I walked and took local transport (Rs. 4-16) but if you prefer taxi/rickshaw then it goes way higher than the Rs. 30 they quoted, that price is one-way and not very far in Mumbai. Again, "Attractions: 250" depends what you want to see and if you are going to do something everyday, many of Mumbai's attractions are free as long as you ignore touts and such. I could make the same argument for "Drinks/Entertainment" and "Meals"

In there defense they explain there criteria in the "How the Backpacker Index works" but I disagree with the prices they came up with as I was just in Mumbai 2 weeks ago. The fact that Goa was considered cheaper than Mumbai and Delhi makes me wonder as it can be easily more expensive as the city is geared toward drinking more and spending a bit more. But if you look at the 3 places in India they mention, the big difference is accommodation which was my main point. I think :)

Also just read the response by "Tortuga_traveller" and I actually stayed at Red Shield which is the hostel ran by Salvation Army. It did indeed have bed bugs in a few beds but many people didn't and it wasn't that bad. Also free breakfast and lots of cool people there made it a fun place. But this again goes toward my point of what kind of accommodation your willing to go with.

I basically repeated what others said but I had recent experience with Mumbai so thought I would throw my 2 cents in.
Flickr | Blog

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel