The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Is this forum dying?

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
I've been here for almost ten years now, and never seen as slow as it has been recently. Too many branches, I think.

backlasher

User avatar
Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 800
Joined: April 12th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
With all the different media now (facebook, twitter etc.) people don't interact the same way anymore. It's a shame since I feel like I "know" a lot of the people who used to post here.
"There's more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than can ever be done."
Circle of Life - The Lion King

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 845
Joined: May 24th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
In my opinion, it's been dying for a while. I could certainly be wrong about this, but it seems like a lot of long-term posters didn't care for the format/styling changes that were made a few years ago and simply left and never returned.

michey_b

User avatar
Niagara Addict
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: November 20th, 2005
Location: Bournemouth, England

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
i have noticed a huge change since ive been back and posting again - i was one of those people who havent been around for a couple of years now and it seems almost everyone I used to chat to has also stopped posting.

Its a real shame as I used to really enjoy hanging out here - and I have met and partied with some awesome people through this site. No one else could truly understand why I travel like my fellow Booties

Someone should organise a mass round up of everyone and get them back - a campaign to save the boots from extinction! :)

Michelle

Mama-to-many

User avatar
Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 755
Joined: March 26th, 2007
Location: New Zealand

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
I wonder if people's lifestyles have changed and they don't feel the "need" to be doing travel posting if they are settled in one spot. I know for myself that it's been a couple of years that we've been back from our big trip and so the information we might be able to share (details that people want to know) is largely outdated.
I'll be back with Camino questions soon though!
________________________
Pilgrims' Progress
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kiwifamily/

2wanderers

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3777
Joined: August 20th, 2003
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
Mama-to-many wrote:I wonder if people's lifestyles have changed and they don't feel the "need" to be doing travel posting if they are settled in one spot.

I think that's a reason why many of the old regulars don't stop by. I still dream, but I do feel like I have less to contribute as my traveling has become more conventional and less frequent in recent years. It's been 2 years since I left the country, and 4 years since I went on a "real" backpacking trip in another country and that was only for 3 weeks.

But that doesn't explain why new people aren't coming in. I think for that, you have to look to BnA's evolving business model. When I first came here, some 9 years ago, BnA was still trying to figure out how to make money. They were primarily a content site generating ad revenue, and the Boards were featured front and centre, since boards are a cheap way to generate content. I get the impression that their business model now focuses on being a specialty travel agency, with the web content as more of an advertising function than a core service. The boards are below the fold on their front page, and stumbling on them using google seems to require a relatively focused search - general travel questions are less likely to turn them up.

We'll see. Maybe there will be a resurgence at some point in the future. I suspect that economic worries are keeping lots of people from taking the plunge to the kind of long trips the BnA specializes in. It that's the case, when the job market starts rolling a bit smoother, maybe we'll see more fresh blood.

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 845
Joined: May 24th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
2wanderers wrote:
Mama-to-many wrote:I wonder if people's lifestyles have changed and they don't feel the "need" to be doing travel posting if they are settled in one spot.

I think that's a reason why many of the old regulars don't stop by. I still dream, but I do feel like I have less to contribute as my traveling has become more conventional and less frequent in recent years. It's been 2 years since I left the country, and 4 years since I went on a "real" backpacking trip in another country and that was only for 3 weeks.

But that doesn't explain why new people aren't coming in. I think for that, you have to look to BnA's evolving business model. When I first came here, some 9 years ago, BnA was still trying to figure out how to make money. They were primarily a content site generating ad revenue, and the Boards were featured front and centre, since boards are a cheap way to generate content. I get the impression that their business model now focuses on being a specialty travel agency, with the web content as more of an advertising function than a core service. The boards are below the fold on their front page, and stumbling on them using google seems to require a relatively focused search - general travel questions are less likely to turn them up.

We'll see. Maybe there will be a resurgence at some point in the future. I suspect that economic worries are keeping lots of people from taking the plunge to the kind of long trips the BnA specializes in. It that's the case, when the job market starts rolling a bit smoother, maybe we'll see more fresh blood.


I think you make good points re: the changing focus of BnA and the economic uncertainty keeping folks at home. Unfortunately, that means that things are likely to stay dead here. It's unlikely that BnA will rechange their focus in a way that would re-energize the boards. And young college grads - those that are most likely to take long term trips - have been hit especially hard by the economic downturn (at least in the US).

Sophie9

User avatar
Knows What a Schengen Visa Is
 
Posts: 425
Joined: January 4th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
EMH wrote:In my opinion, it's been dying for a while. I could certainly be wrong about this, but it seems like a lot of long-term posters didn't care for the format/styling changes that were made a few years ago and simply left and never returned.


Agree.

"Is this forum dying?"
Yes.

Sophie9

User avatar
Knows What a Schengen Visa Is
 
Posts: 425
Joined: January 4th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
Actually, I was going to just give my response as above and fail to include my other thoughts on the demise of this site. But I've changed my mind and I'm going to post them, which will surely invite the very responses that keep me from posting here.

Doesn't matter what I post or what opinion I convey or what kind of corroboration I might provide, some Imperial Wizard of Travel know-it-all comes along to argue and dispute any kind of input, and demonstrate point by point why they're right and I'm wrong.

I didn't sign up here years ago to argue. Tired of it.

Now here is the opportunity for all the naysayers to tell me one more time, that I'm totally wrong, doesn't happen here, my perception is erroneous, and point by point illustrate why I'm wrong.

I'm waiting.

WhatsThisButtonDo

User avatar
Guidebook Dependent
 
Posts: 16
Joined: September 29th, 2011

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
Sophie9 wrote:Doesn't matter what I post or what opinion I convey or what kind of corroboration I might provide, some Imperial Wizard of Travel know-it-all comes along to argue and dispute any kind of input, and demonstrate point by point why they're right and I'm wrong.


In a similar vein, I find this forum (and the other travel forums I visit) a bit too factual, it's all just about getting questions answered rather than having fun or forming a community, there's only so many times I can stand reading the same questions and answers. Some how you need to inject some fun into the forum, ask a few open ended questions ("Given a choice, where would you retire?", "What's your favorite food/drink you found while travelling?" etc.) or just start some general chatter and discussion topics.

It's also been picked up that there're just too many sub forums, I'd combine some of them and give them more general names, it'll just make everything look more active. On another forum I run, we have a simple rule; if a forum has no new posts for over a month then we try and merge with a similar topic, it's not always possible but it keeps the number of unused forums down. There's always a temptation to create more and more forums but all it does is spread the content more thinly. Focus on the areas that are the most popular, make them easier to find.

Mama-to-many

User avatar
Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 755
Joined: March 26th, 2007
Location: New Zealand

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
Good suggestion Button....how would you set up these boards?

Also, it's quite possible that this forum is not so chatty because we all read (and abide by - hahaha) the rules....like 5. It is our goal to keep the boards as content-rich as possible. Posts that do not add anything to the discussion are not appreciated and excessive posting will result in a warning with a possible ban. Examples include: Posts that say nothing more than "LoL" or "Smile" or "Agreed"
________________________
Pilgrims' Progress
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kiwifamily/

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 845
Joined: May 24th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
Sophie9 wrote:Actually, I was going to just give my response as above and fail to include my other thoughts on the demise of this site. But I've changed my mind and I'm going to post them, which will surely invite the very responses that keep me from posting here.

Doesn't matter what I post or what opinion I convey or what kind of corroboration I might provide, some Imperial Wizard of Travel know-it-all comes along to argue and dispute any kind of input, and demonstrate point by point why they're right and I'm wrong.

I didn't sign up here years ago to argue. Tired of it.

Now here is the opportunity for all the naysayers to tell me one more time, that I'm totally wrong, doesn't happen here, my perception is erroneous, and point by point illustrate why I'm wrong.

I'm waiting.


I'm sorry that's been your experience. Since I don't post here as often as I used to it's certainly possible that people are less respectful than they were 4-5 years ago. I do still think that the people here are much more respectful than what you'll find over at the LP Thorn Tree.

zoomcharlieb

User avatar
Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 891
Joined: June 24th, 2007
Location: Lake Forest Park, Washington

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
What we have lost are a lot of the "really passionately opinionated" people who used to get on here and argue the living daylights out of stuff, some of which was very aggravating, but non the less, there was passion here. Now we have discussion on ennui, in fact that kept up the most interest in the last 10 days. it was really lively around here, maybe a little too lively for some people, but i would take lively over boring anytime. I'm getting up there in years but still travel existentially, but this whole site has been boing me to death for a long time. for one, they need more travel stories from real people, that would help

Markus

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: May 27th, 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC.CA

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
Bootsnall has always had a lot of sub-forums, and possibly had more 3 or 4 years ago than it does today. It was fairly busy then, and had its share of irritating contrarian users, but I don't think it's changing software or forum layout that really caused people to stop visiting. I don't even think it's changing demographics as a certain user base stops travelling.

I've seen the same trends across numerous sites I visit, and it seems the days of the forum are behind us now. With social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ taking up so much of people's time, there's just not the same drive to visit sites outside those somewhat narrow portals. People seem to treat long format posting as they did letter writing or book reading when the internet went mainstream. It really seems to me that the current mindset is that if it doesn't fit in a status update, it's not worth writing or reading.

Too much noise, not enough signal.

halfnine

World Citizen
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: December 5th, 2005

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2012
This site has been dead for a few years now and I largely agree with Markus. There used to be a lot of people who came to these forums as for social interaction first and travel second. A place for travelers or future travelers to get together whether they had a trip planned or not. And many people did this to kill time while at work as it was always relatively dead on weekends and weeknights with most posts happening Monday to Friday from 9 to 5.

So...my theories. Starting a few years back, less people starting using their work computers for internet (companies cracking down, bad economy, etc). Then there were other options for socializing as well with Facebook, etc. which also all became a lot easier than BnA once people started using internet on their phones.


Next

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
8
Newest Member:
Icicles Adventure Treks and Tours


Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers


Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2014 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.