Discover the last great frontier on earth...yourself! Discuss the personal exploration or spiritual quests related to travel. Share lessons learned and inspirational thoughts - delve deeper into self-understanding.

Is this the right decision?

mironakos

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 3rd, 2011
Hey there

I've always wanted to travel but circumstances (loans,relationships etc) served as reasons to postpone my plans. I've just finished paying off my loan and came out of a two year relationship.. I am still in shock from the break up as i still love him and want to be together but he is 100% sure that he wants to be single for a while..we are still living together, sleeping together, cuddling but we are not together..it has completely thrown my world upside down..but i also feel that i am now at a point in my life ready to take the big step (am also no teenager - 32 years old in a weeks and half)..i am big believer in that 'everything happens for a reason' and maybe this trip will help me find myself, get me out of my comfort zone and more or less lead me to a path of self discovery..
So i have the option of getting voluntary redundancy at work possibly in a couple of months - that will more or less amount to £6000. What shall i do? take it and go away or stay back and try and save a little bit more?
Also how long will £6000 think will last me? My original plans were Russia/Mongolia/ China/Japan/Australia (staying with family so no accomodation or food expenses) and then South America as a rough plan...how much money do you think i will need? And is it reasonable to think that between £6000-£8000 will be enough?

Looking forward to your replies guys -
Thanks
'Leave but don't leave me. Look around and choose your own ground, for long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.'

Seebeauty

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 3rd, 2011
yes, go!! throw caution to the wind and go where your heart leads. what a wonderful "coincidence" that you might have a lump sum of cash to help you get going. get your couch surfing profile if you don't have one already and that will help you with making your money last, and you'll meet so many people.

what are you waiting for?

xx
DOING is a quantum leap from IMAGINING

Cube Dreamer

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2011
I would totally go! There is never a PERFECT time and, from the facts that you describe, this sounds like as perfect a time as any. Also, your current living arrangement sounds both painful and unhealthy (very difficult to move forward?) .... getting on the road for awhile could be the perfect way to clear your mind and help gain some perspective on the situation and your overall direction. I just turned 34 and truly think 32 is a great age to hit the road!

hammocks4all

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2011
With the amount of $ you've got, you could be gone for months... or years, depending on what you want. I left home on a one-way ticket to Thailand, with only $1000, and had a 2 year adventure visiting most of S.E. Asia, N.Z. and Japan. The people you will meet and the experiences you'll have (good and bad) are unforgettable and are what addicts most of us to travelling forever after. The only way to know if its the right decision, for you, is to do it. You have a perfect opportunity right now. Don't be the 80 yr old, looking back and saying, "I wish I had..."

Return to The Spiritual Traveler