Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Istanbul Stopover

flying_pig

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: istanbul, istanbul stopover, istanbul hostel, istanbul where to stay, turkey, istanbul airport transfer
  • Added on: March 20th, 2013
This July I land in Istanbul around 6pm on a Saturday & leave midnight Sunday so I'm currently looking at hostel dorms for the night. I plan on seeing a few main tourist sights on the Sunday then heading to the airport but I also plan on going out on the Saturday night to experience some nightlife (and possibly get a Turkish bath before that). My thinking was stay in the Old City & taxi to Galata for the night out.

My question is, where would be best to base myself given this itinerary, the old city, Galata or elsewhere? And how convenient is travel between the two and to/from the airport?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

Stay in Old Town. You can take public transit for your night out though depending on how late you stay out you'll probably need to take a taxi back to your hostel.

As for getting to/from the airport, you're best off taking a taxi. Theoretically you can use public transit but the layout of the streets in Istanbul is crazy so you'll likely have a hard time finding your hostel. Just make sure you read up on taxi scams in Istanbul. I think the most common one is shorting you on change. I didn't have that problem myself but others have reported it.

flying_pig

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thanks, I've just booked a hostel in the Old City now. I'll wait until nearer the time & decide on a taxi from the airport or a combination of public transport & a taxi. Thanks for the help.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2013
Dunno which hostel you picked, but most in the Old City are happy to arrange shared shuttle service so long as you tell them your details, which is cheaper than a cab. So I might write to them and ask.

flying_pig

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2013
I ended up going with Cheers Hostel, I got an email shortly after offering a 30 euro pick up service but I'll give that a miss. I'll get there somehow, it may take a while though. Thanks.

Return to Europe Travel