Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

IT jobs in India??? IT consulting jobs that require travel

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 5th, 2011
Does anyone know anything about getting some type of IT consulting job in India or in the US that requires travel? I have almost 30 years of IT experience & a masters degree in information systems & have been with my current company since 1995... I just really want to get a job anywhere but in the US... But I do start a new project in Baltimore in a week, for which I am grateful... I just don't think I want to do this job more than a year or two...

Thanks as always,
Renee

SAPMonkey

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2011
The skillset you have is the primary factor in this. What field, what experience do you bring, what is the project need? You will find that non-US, mostly Indian, consultants will accept rates that are a lot lower than most US based folks will. I will probably get flamed for the next bit. I know some US based companies that were able to leverage the perception of Indian based firms and Indian trained consultants falling short on out-of-box thinking. The market is competitive, so use whatever you can to get an edge. Try looking for a international project with a US component where you could be local for part of the job, reducing costs, and leverage the cultural angle as well. If you talk and think like your customer, they will take you over the other guy as it means they probably get a higher quality solution.

Chebasaz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2011
I think you summed it up pretty well. No flaming here.

To the OP - Provided you have a clean record, give the government contracting field a try. OCONUS jobs are aplenty and the pay is good. Breaking into the industry is a bit tough, but the ability and desire to travel will count in your favor. Ignore the "Must have clearance" and apply anyway. Provided you can get a clearance, many times they'll work with you.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

-Rudyard Kipling

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2011
There's also a valuable niche as the expert in intercultural communication. We have a couple of people who rotate between here and India to coordinate with our subconsultant there. That said, both are Indians who live in Canada, so I'm not sure you'd have a leg up in that market.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

2wanderers wrote: We have a couple of people who rotate between here and India to coordinate with our subconsultant there.

That's probably the best way I would know to do it. Working for a company that is farming out some of its work to India and being the person on the ground in India coordinating between the two countries.

Personally, I've often thought of moving to India, setting up shop, and hiring a few locals to do my job. My pay would be less but margins would still be good especially considering I wouldn't be working all that much either. Haven't been able to sell the wife on the idea yet. And, then again, there is Indian bureaucracy to deal with.

Chebasaz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I've got a friend who works for a video game company out of Seattle. Goes to India once every few months to oversee their art division over there. I just don't know how you'd leverage your way into that job from the outside. If you were already part of an organization that had interests in that area it would be much simpler.

-Rudyard Kipling

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
I have been in government contracting for 16 years... But my company is pretty much exclusively based on the US government... I also have a secret clearance -- I haven't had the opportunity to apply for any higher clearance... I think what I will do is refocus on my career for the next year or two (after being on sabbatical for the past 12 months) and occasionally scan for jobs either supporting some type of USAID contract or look to a couple of other companies that do have an international presence.... A couple of obvious ones come to mind... It just seems to me that with all of the outsourcing to India, companies would need people who could serve as some kind of liaison.... But I also understand that Indians are in a much better position for serving in this capacity and there are A LOT of indians who would be qualified and capable of doing this.... I don't have any particular strengths in this area other than I have spent a couple of months in India and I am eager to return!

In other news, we just found out that my son is being assigned to Guatemala for his Peace Corps service! ;-)

Cheers,
Renee

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Renee wrote:
In other news, we just found out that my son is being assigned to Guatemala for his Peace Corps service! ;-)

Cheers,
Renee

Lucky him, Guatemala is a fascinating country with friendly people. :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Chebasaz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Renee,

Check your PM's. May be able to help out in your search.

-Rudyard Kipling

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel