Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine

brentus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 25th, 2007
Of all the people on these boards who have travelled to SE Asia, how many of you recieved the JE vaccination before you went?
The travel doctor in my town has 'advised' I get the vaccination before I go... but I've been doing some reading on it and I don't think it's really necessary for me as I plan on sticking mainly to urban areas, and I'm only in the region for 10 weeks.
With 6 weeks before departure, I could really do with $300 in my back pocket, which is what the vaccine is going to cost me.

Callilucy

Waitin' For The Lentil Loaf

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2007
I don't want to be fearless, I want to be brave.

GoBackpacking

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2007
Definetly seems like Japanese Encephalitis doesn't get much play on here. My local travel clinic in northern VA charges $148 per dose (x3), which comes out to about $450! Crazy.

Rabies is even worse - $250 per dose (x3 I think).

I decided the risks were low enough that I would pass on both. :/

zhang

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2007
Is this price the same all throughout the world? I know they grow the vaccine in mice which is why it costs so much, so I can't really see it being that much cheaper. Has anyone got the JE vaccine in another country? I'm in the same boat...I could also do with an extra $300.

Ewan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2007
Is this vaccine free in the UK on the NHS?

drbexl

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Ewan:
Is this vaccine free in the UK on the NHS?

I got Jap Enc as I was planning on living in Vietnam for 6 months. Plans changed, but had already had the jabs (x 3), and was over £100, but under £120 (can't quite remember) for the full course.

quimby

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 30th, 2007
Big article today about this being one of the worst years on record so far for JE in all of Asia - in both rural and big cities. Usually outbreaks are limited to smaller geographic rural areas. I imagine WHO will have more info and stats.

I didnt go for the shot years ago, but today I would.

Littlemustard

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 3rd, 2007
I would def. get the JE since it would really suck and ruin your trip otherwise. Mainly it will help your frame of mind, i hate having things like that lurking the back of my head, it's just one more thing to think about. I'm on the fence about the rabies but leaning towards it. I really like animals and I don't want to have to avoid animals for fear of rabies. On the other hand it only helps you for about 24 hrs so you would still need to get help asap, which would be really hard if you were far away from a hospital. However other countries do not have their animals vacinated like we do so there is a lot more rabies in 3rd world countries.

Littlemustard

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 3rd, 2007
oops. i don't mean it would ruin your trip if you didn't get it, just if you actually got sick w/ it -that's what would suck

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 4th, 2007
I asked my dr. about this a while ago. I kinda wanted to see how up on travel medicine she was. She didn't recomend it unless I was planning on spending more than 30 days in China.

I do want to get rabies. However, I am very lucky in that my insurance will cover any vacination.

disaster

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 13th, 2007
To be honest while traveling through Asia I met maybe a couple of people who were on anti malarials or had vaccinations. I haven't had anything either but it should be a personal choice. I didn't protect myself against anything when I was living in Mexico and was fine, but my roommate got typhoid and dengue fever. You have to realise that shit happens.
www.myspace.com/aneta2006

Squibby

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 23rd, 2007
I'm going to SEA and have decided to have the Rabies (£150) but not the JE.The Nurse in my local GPs said that I would only need it if spending lots of time in rural areas (and it would have been another £150!)

However having seen quimby's post I may have to re-think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions - HH Dalai Lama

michey_b

Niagara Addict

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 23rd, 2007
I have just got the first of three of jap b and its cost me £90 for the 3 - looks like it differs on what doctors you go to but i think the Nomad clinics charge about the same (£90).

Mich

ViciousJ

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 27th, 2007
In response to Zhang, it cost me about $400.. I hesitated v bit because of the potential side effects, 1 in 10 people vomit...But I bit the bullet... I just finished the series, and while I haven't thrown up I've been wicked itchy.
Don't let me hear that life is taking you nowhere- David Bowie

travelcat

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 17th, 2008
The question of how many other travelers got the vaccine is irrelevant. The risk of vaccination versus the risk of disease is relevant. Risk of infection in travelers may range from 1 in 5000 to 1 in 1,000,000, depending on factors including season, location, activities. The cost in NZ is NZD$600.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/jencephalitis/qa.htm

From the CDC Faq (quoting another source): "Who should be vaccinated against Japanese encephalitis?"

"Travelers: Japanese encephalitis vaccine is NOT recommended for all travelers to Asia. In general, vaccine should be offered to persons spending a month or longer in endemic areas during the trans-mission season, especially if travel will include rural areas. Under specific circumstances, vaccine should be considered for persons spending <30 days in endemic areas, e.g., travelers to areas experiencing epidemic transmission and persons whose activities, such as extensive outdoor activities in rural areas, place them at high risk for exposure. ... Estimates suggest that risk of Japanese encephalitis in highly endemic areas during the transmission season can reach 1 per 5,000 per month of exposure; risk for most short-term travelers may be 1 per million. Although Japanese encephalitis vaccine is reactogenic, rates of serious allergic reactions (generalized urticaria or angioedema) are low (1 to 104 per 10,000)."

Next

Return to Health and Travel