Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Kao San Rd to Southern Bus Terminal

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 10th, 2006
Can it be done by public transport? On the map it looks like a short crossing by express boat from Phra Athit terminal and then a little stroll up the road but after getting lost in the side streets, I had to turn back. I then had a closer look at the 'little stroll' and realised that the map isn't quite to scale when I found myself facing a series of six-lane flyovers with no pedestrian sidewalks. All the buses turn off straight after Phra Pinklao, bridge except for the mysterious 124 and 127--and my map does not disclose where they originate.

Suddenly I miss bemos very much.

crazyal

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2006
One of the problems of staying in the Khao San Road area - no nearby access to the Skytrain for cheap travel and indirrect bus routes.

Bite the bullet, flag down a moving AirCon taxi cab, tell the driver METER ONLY!

(When you bargain with a taxi you usually pay more than the meter charge! Avoid taxi cabs waiting (lurking) at hotels or bus stations - they only want to bargain and you will pay more!) Grab a moving taxi - use the meter only it's cheaper!

Figure on 50 to 90 baht for the ride - depending on traffic or time of day and you are there!

Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

cherry berry

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

1. by taxi meter (taxi meter only!!)
2. buss no. 511 for both orange and white colour. it ends at the southern terminal. the ticket can be bought on the bus around 10-25 baht/ person i guess, tell the ticketer your destination but it will stop at a station after going down from the bridge a little while then goes on. make sure you spare enugh time to travel by bus due to the traffic during rush hours. if you arrive earlier, no worry cos there are many foodshops/ restaurants/ fast food there for you to sit Smile

btw. you have to get on the bus on the other side of the road if you stay on khao sarn road side.
.. ... . ... ... .. ... . .
tour...ism

yana1973

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Ok question about buses from the airport. My guide book says take #511/ 11 to get to KSR. Is that the best way to get there? I arrive during the day around 12:30pm. Also how will I know I've arrived? Will it be obvious? Are there street signs or will there be lots of Farangis walking around. thanks Ciao

crazyal

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Yana1973

There are several ways to get to KSR besides the taxi or city bus service. One of the easiest ways to get to KSR is to take the AIRPORT BUS.

The AIRPORT BUS departs from the same area the taxi kiosk is at (just outside the arrivals hall, street level.) The AIRPORT BUS has several routes, the price for taking this bus to KSR is 100 baht, much cheaper than the taxi. The AIRPORT BUS kiosk workers will direct you to the right bus, collect your money, and write your destination down for the driver. Lots and lots of travellers go to KSR, you won't miss it. You will be on the bus with other fellow KSR travellers anyway.

The AIRPORT BUS runs until just after midnight. The bus leaves from both international terminals and the domestic terminal. There is a bus about every 20 minutes. There are marked bus stops where you can take the same bus service back to the airport when you depart.

At the airport don't forget to get some small bills for paying taxi cabs, busses and for making purchases in small stores and from vendors. IGNORE ALL OF THE TOUTS IN THE ARRIVALS HALL SELLING TAXI SERVICE!

Good luck.
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

Also, there are female English-speaking airport employees who board the bus at each airport stop (since it picks up at all three terminals) and double checks with the passengers where they are going, writes it down on a clip board and makes sure that the Thai-only-speaking driver knows who is getting off where.

There is absolutely no way that you can go wrong. I promise. Just hand over your 100 baht note to the lady at the booth marked "AIRPORT BUS" and tell her "Khao San". (Most likely, she will already have guessed anyway.)

And yes, Khao San Road is similar to arriving in Las Vegas. You'll know it when you see it.

yana1973

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Thanks Static Ciao

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2006
If you feel adventurous take bus number 59 for a little round trip around Bangkok. It will eventually (after 2h or so) pass the victory monument where you can get off for KS road.

Tuk-tuks are much more expensive than metered taxis, but metered taxis are OK.

cherry berry

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2006
hey yana1973, i have another confusing way for you to get to KSR from the airport

take the bus no. 29 or 510 to BTS Mor-Chit then buy a ticket cost 40 baht, change train at BTS Siam, the get to Silom line to BTS Tak-Sin, then take a boat ride, tell them you want to go to KSR, you will get on the pier not far from the grand palace and Thammasart U. then you walk or catch a tuk tuk to KSR

LOL
.. ... . ... ... .. ... . .
tour...ism

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2006
Meter taxi was 53 Baht when I did this last week. NOTE: at 5 am there ws little traffic - it will be much more at 5 pm.

Return to Asia Travel