Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Kolkatta accomodation question

erin palmisano

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 27th, 2008
Hi friends. I have recently gained this list of recommendations for the two weeks my mother and I will be spending in Kolkatta in February. We are simply looking for something clean, yet humble, for the two of us. Has anyone stayed at any of these places and would recommend or NOT recommend any of them, or have any other recommendations?

Hotel Circular 177A AJC Bose Road, Kolkata 700014
Monica House AJC Bose Rd Kolkata 700014
Hotel Paramont 33/4 Free School St Kolkata 700016
Capital Guesthoues 11B Chowringee Ln (off Sudder St)
hotel maria 55/1 Sudder St Kolkata 700016
ModernLodge Stuart Ln (off Sudder St)
Salvation Army 2 Sudder St Kolkata 700016
Hotel Paragon Stuart Ln (off Sudder St)
Himalaya inn Guesthouse Fomra towers 84/A AJC Bose Rd
Seva Kendra 52-B Radhanath Chowdhury Rd Kolkata 700015

Also, our flight arrives at 1am. Does anyone know of any accomodations local to the airport that we could stay to get some sleep before heading into town in the morning, or do any of the guesthouses allow for late night guests?

Thanks for the info! Really, any information would help...if I were alone I'd probably wing it but my mother, though an adventurous spirit herself, wants just a LITTLE more security for our first day in at least. Thanks!

erin
"I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity."

linseyis

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 4th, 2008
Erin,

I stayed at the Paragon on Sudder; it wasn't clean, persay, and the place is really like dorm rooms the size of shoe boxes, but I loved the vibe and the ease of meeting people there. I don't think I'd take my mom.

My suggestion is find some place near the airport for the first night (pay a bit more, but get some decent sleep) and use the next morning to find a decent place. There are a TON of places on and around Sudder (also check near Park St.; a bit more upscale) and you can easily wander around, check out rooms and see what fits your fancy.

I think in the LP it recommends a place called Sunflower? I walked past it a few times and it seemed cute and in a good spot.

Happy traveling!

Return to Asia Travel