Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Leaning Tower of Pisa Reservations

eel3

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 7th, 2010
I've heard that admission to go up the Leaning Tower of Pisa is limited and if one doesn't have reservations it is possible they will be turned down. I am going in middle of October. Do you know if I should eat the extra fee and make the reservation in advance?

And is it worth the ticket price to go up the tower?

WestCoast

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2010
had no idea this might be the case, am also thinking of doing an Italy road trip mid-October and wouldn't want to punt on this!

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2010
They only let up a limited number of people a day- ie x number of people per half hour- and when I went in March I had to kill an hour or so after purchasing the ticket. Seeing as October isn't high season I reckon if you showed up early it shouldn't be a huge problem.

As for whether it was worth it, well, I can't remember how much it was exactly but even the student price wasn't cheap! (You had to pay a pretty penny to enter the church as well, even more than the ones in Florence, so I didn't on principle- Pisa around the tower was the biggest tourist trap in Europe I encountered and that's saying something!) But there wasn't that much else to do in Pisa and I decided to splurge it and got some nice views of the city- I wrote a post about it here with more detail.

AlexBerger

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Can't say much about going up it.

In the past i've opted for a quick hour train layover on the way from Florence to the Cinque Terra to make the bus ride, see the tour/area, and then hop back on the train. I've never been overly impressed with Pisa. That said, it's worth giving yourself some time to explore it. My hunch is that going up the tower is more an "I did it'" story than actual in the moment experience, though I could be wrong.
I am an avid hostel/backpacker with a passion for sharing stories and answering questions.

Blog: http://virtualwayfarer.com
Site: http://ultimatepackinglist.com

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I don't want to tell you the wrong thing but I agree with Andromeda that in October (versus the summer), you shouldn't have a problem getting a ticket if you show up early. And yes, the whole area is a crazy tourist trap.

From my personal experience, I'd always wanted to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa since I read a story about it as a child. Honestly, I feel that just seeing it in person from the ground, is totally fun and amazing. My bf and I were on a budget and didn't purchase the ticket to go to the top- I don't regret it, but I suppose I don't know what I missed either. Like AlexBerger, we just stopped in Pisa en route...on our way from Cinque Terre to Lucca.
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

Return to Europe Travel