Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

leaving a tip at a cheap hotel in Mexico

blueatjustchill

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 18th, 2008
Saying that we should good give money because we come from ricer countries is not tipping, it's charity. If locals wouldn't tip the person then it is not culturally demanded. By tipping in that situation you are putting your culture on their society. If enough tourists do it then you change their culture from a non-tipping to a tipping society.
In this case i've never been to Mexico so i don't know if they tip cleaners or not. I would probably leave some money if they did a good job not because i pity their poor wages but because they delivered a good service. After all isn't that what tipping is about.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by blueatjustchill:
Saying that we should good give money because we come from ricer countries is not tipping, it's charity. If locals wouldn't tip the person then it is not culturally demanded. By tipping in that situation you are putting your culture on their society. If enough tourists do it then you change their culture from a non-tipping to a tipping society.
In this case i've never been to Mexico so i don't know if they tip cleaners or not. I would probably leave some money if they did a good job not because i pity their poor wages but because they delivered a good service. After all isn't that what tipping is about.

Mexicans tip.

Cristi Farrell

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 19th, 2008
No one has ever chased me down for a tip at a hotel where I've stayed a night, I've never seen a tip jar, and before now have never heard of tipping at a motel or hostel in Everytown, Everywhere. I've been in the presence of foreigners in their own country, travelled with them, and they have never intimated that a tip was necessary (Mexicans, Turks, French, British) and naturally I followed their cue. The LP, Frommer's guides, etc. have never mentioned a word on tipping at hotels to my knowledge (just restaurant customs), but I see from this post that apparently people do otherwise and expect others to do the same.

As for being culturally sensitive, I would not say a person is insensitive because they didn't tip, especially if they didn't know that was the local custom. It would be for the other reasons above which Felix may or may not have implied that I supposedly do when I travel. Not the case, as I am surprisingly not the cheap, demanding, racist, English-speaking American who believes service, quality, and someone to attend to my needs at every moment are absolutely necessary on MY vacation. Apparently you haven't read my blog.

One questions practices to be educated and hear different sides of the issue. Thank you Callilucy for being diplomatic about it instead of making this a race issue or painting me a cheap, beer-guzzling backpacker (I don't even drink when travelling). I appreciate your post. Incidentally, the issue has never been about money, it's been about principle, which I will defend down to the last cent in any case to anyone.

Overall, I tend to agree with Blueatjustchill. Tipping societies influence the non, who suddenly expect a tip when they know you are from the "United States". A waiter in Argentina thought I was from Italy and proceeded to 'educate' me in Spanish about tipping practices. I never would have gone that far when I waited tables, but to each his own I guess. When I travel I will take into consideration the wealth of the native population when I stay at a motel somewhere, but I am not going to run down the street and throw money at everyone I see, because that to me is culturally insensitive.
Cristi Farrell
"Adventure Goddess"
http://www.ANovelPath.com

The world is a book and those who do not travel only read a page. -St. Augustine

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

It seems to me like you have a conclusion, and are working backwards from it. You´ve heard unequivocal responses from a couple of people here that people do indeed tip in Mexico. For me personally, when I´m in a poor country and in any doubt at all, I err on the side of caution. To me, it is a far better thing to be "culturally insensitive" and (discreetly) tip when it isn´t necessary, than to ensure someone has only tortillas, instead of tortillas and beans for dinner with their children that evening.

I get really passionate about this one, which is why I sound adamant about it. Many of my Mexican friends, some of whom barely have a pot to piss in, have drilled home to me how wealthy even backpackers are to them. The idea that 20-somethings from our countries, many of whom haven´t even begun thinking about the word "career," routinely take entire years to travel around the world staggers them. Failing to observe local tipping norms in poor countries - especially when the failure is willful - is unpardonable, in my mind.

It doesn´t matter whether you drink beer at night or not. By simple virture of being a tourist in a country like Mexico or Morocco, you are vastly more fortunate than 95% of the people who live there. I do drink beer every night here, but I´d rather skip a couple of them than refuse pay someone a tip (which is a de facto wage in many places). It doesn´t matter if you don´t want the service, either. If the hotel provides it, someone is depending on being paid to provide service. How many sit-down restaurants in the US allow people to save money by cooking and serving their own food?

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
The LP, Frommer's guides, etc. have never mentioned a word on tipping at hotels to my knowledge (just restaurant customs),

From my LP for the Yucatan:

"If you stay a few days in one place, you should leave up to 10% of your room costs for the people who have kept your room clean (assuming they have), at least M$10 a day"

Cristi Farrell

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Thanks halfnine. I have never travelled extensively through Mexico nor own a guidebook for it.
Cristi Farrell
"Adventure Goddess"
http://www.ANovelPath.com

The world is a book and those who do not travel only read a page. -St. Augustine

doctorpatrick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2010
Tipping ensures really good service. If you're staying several nights leave the biggest tip after the first night to get their attention and then lesser on subsequent days if you wish. If you've been a slob the decent thing to do is to tip extra even if for one night.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2010
I haven't been active on bootsnall in a while so imagine my surprise when a thread I started two years ago is on the front page! Anyway, just thought I'd share some random experiences since I made my original post:

1) After I made the original post I ended up in Guanajuato where I studied Spanish. One of my teachers remarked "Mexicans are used to getting stiffed on tips".

2) In Thailand I read an article about a bunch of foreigners who left a tip for their waitress. Imagine their surprise when 10 minutes later she tracked them down, gave them their money back and scolded them for being so careless.

3) In the Philippines, I tried to give a tip to a hotel security guard who had gone out of his way to hail a taxi for me. It was pretty clear from the moment that I offered the tip that I had made a major faux pas. I practically had to force him to accept the tip and I left feeling like I had screwed-up.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

JordanRHughes

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2010
At least a few dollars. Those maid depend on their tips... find me @ spray foam insulation
Last edited by JordanRHughes on January 20th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas De Corte

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2010
Basically I tip 10% in hotels, bars and restaurants in countries where tipping is common. Depending on the quality of the actual service this can be more or less.

doctorpatrick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
My TripAdvisor map shows 47 locations out of the US. Never has anyone chased me down to return a tip. Guess I need to go to Thailand! BTW, when I was in Bavaro, D.R. the $10 "tip" to the local police captain was one of the best investments I made.

Armstead

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 21st, 2011
The richer you are the more you leave. These people need to feed their families as well....

8-)

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2011
Armstead wrote:The richer you are the more you leave. These people need to feed their families as well....

8-)

In my experience it's the other way around, guess that's why the rich are rich, they only give when a tax receipt is to be had.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Previous

Return to Mexico Travel