Offers insights on how to find an accessible room and suggest air travel tips for wheelers and slow walkers. Dish info on the best airline bathrooms and the hassle-free ways to deal with airport security.

little people in a very big world

lucyanne359

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 17th, 2007
what are some of the better places for little people?
where have you encountered major problems?

thanks.

travelclown

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 20th, 2007
Hello Lucyanne359,

First I should tell you that I am not a little person. I have MS and for years I've travelled with a cane and a little portable camping seat. Now, I'm in a wheelchair. I know nothing about difficulties that are specific to people your size. But I know about people who are different...

I would think that developped countries would be physically easier to travel around. (e.g. Europe) However, in developping or underdevelopped countries, I find that people are more "human" (for lack of a better word). They tend to want to help you.

In some countries, different people tend to be hidden away from society(e.g.Japan) whereas other places tend to be more open-minded (e.g.Amsterdam).
Now you have to know that you will be stared at. Perhaps they have seen a little person, but they've probably never seen a "little tourist". However, always remember that if you were a regular-size white tourist walking around in e.g. India, you would get stared at anyways just for being different from the locals.

Anyways, I just want to encourage you to realize your travel dreams even if you don't get the answers that you want. I'm sure your life isn't that easy at home anyways. So if you travel, you'll end up facing an all new set of problems, but you'll have the time of your life...
Good Luck!!! Wink

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 22nd, 2007
Charla, on the Amazing Race seemed to have made out alright in a wide variety of situations, but as I recall, people did react differently to her in different places. It might be interesting to watch the whole of last season (the All-Stars one) and focus on her experiences.

Return to Travel with Disabilities