Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Live in Mexico, work in the US?

Arre

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 2nd, 2009
I'm graduating this year and I'm starting to think more seriously about what I want to do and where I want to live. I've been considering moving to the southwest US for a long time, but it just occurred to me that it might and cheaper (and cooler!) to try to live near the border in Mexico and find a job equally near the border on the US side.

Anyone done this? Cities to recommend? Any experience with what the cost of living is like in northern Mexico? Any legal issues I should be aware of?

Thanks!
http://sierralights.blogspot.com/ -> blog about living in Turkey and Palestine

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2009
The border area of Mexico is the most dangerous part of the country, and almost always unpleasant.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2009
Any area close enough to the USA to commute back and forth will be far less pleasant than the USA side. Right now any given border town might be dangerous. Just think of living in an an area with competing drug gangs in the USA, only the cops are even less useful.

Now, I'd have no problem living in the town of Creel in the Copper Canyon, but hey, that's a day away from the border.

In fact, if you want, its possible to make a living teaching english in Mexico city and other places for a while. Anywhere BUT a border town will be just fine, with the exception of places that will be obvious to you.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2009
I agree -- living along the US/Mexico border would not be very safe at the moment (due to drug cartel issues that have nothing to do with the Zebra Flu). Beyond that, though, the logistics of moving back and forth between Mexico and the US on a daily basis would be a big pain. If you drove between Mexico and the US, you would have to have two different forms of insurance for your car. While you could get annual Mexican insurance and annual American insurance, it seems like that would be a big expense.

Crossing the border, to get into the US, no matter where you cross, is a headache. Sure, it takes no time at all to cross from the US into Mexico, but the wait to come into the US from Mexico varies from 15 minutes to 2-3 hours, depending on the time of day and a whole slew of other factors for which there seems to be no equation. Of the hundreds of times that I have been back and forth from the US and Mexico, by land, either by walking or driving, I have always had to wait and the amount of time was never predictable.

What kind of work do you have in mind, BTW?

Return to USA & Canada Travel