If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Live in New Zealand?

ems80

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 13th, 2011
Hi, i've been looking in to the possibility of going to NZ to work and live but am not sure how to go about getting a long term job. As i'm over 30 i will only be able to get a work visa for 12 months (with Bunac) and i dont think this can be extended. I am wondering if i go out there and try to find a job will any employers be willing to take me on and then sponsor me to stay there for longer or would the fact that i only have a 12 month visa put them off even though i want to stay? I m not trained in anything in particular so would just be after any job that was available really!
Thanks

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

If you're willing to do anything, fruit picking will be your best bet - and unfortunately that's seasonal, with very little to do through the winter.
Unemployment is high here right now. Recently a new supermarket opened and they had thousands of applicants for the few cashier jobs.
Not trying to be pessimistic - just telling you the reality.

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

You can come here and apply for a job, which may lead to you getting a 2-3 year work permit.

You will need a job offer and it has to be a "professional or skilled" job, so being a burger flipper is not going to work, anything that pays more the $60,000 a year is a good bench mark.

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Sorry forgot to add, that if you are travelling with a partner and if they were able to get a work permit, then you would also qualify for a work permit, based upon your relationship.

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

kiwi_julz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2011
Hi there,

I think it depends on what work you are looking for and how experienced you are, if your skills are in demand it might not be too hard to find work.

For a starter... check out:

www.trademe.co.nz (there should be a link somewhere to 'Trade Me Jobs', also links to property were you can search for renatal or flatmate wanted adds to find out the cost of living).

www.seek.co.nz

www.seasonalwork.co.nz

Good luck!
Cheers
Julia
Julia (kiwi_julz)

kiwi_julz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2011
The visa thing might be an issue.... check out www.immigration.govt.nz first before applying for jobs!
Julia (kiwi_julz)

Return to Living Abroad