England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Five distinct countries in a very small area. Enjoy!

London to Dublin by bicycle -what to see?

Anttipop

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 16th, 2007
I've been planning a bicycle tour to Ireland & Britain for some time now. I've tried to find as much info as possible but I'd like to ask you some general questions I haven't been able to figure out myself. I know there won't be a single right answer and that's exactly why I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.

First of all, I've been pondering a lot, which way should I pick after arriving by ferry at Rosslare. The general opinion on guidebooks and this forum seems to suggest that the most fascinating parts of Ireland are found on the west coast. However, I propably wont have enough money not to mention energy to drive first to west and then back to Dublin for the flight back home. Would a coach trip for example to Cork be worth the money? What places should I see if I came to the west coast? How about sights like Glendalough at the east coast? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Secondly, I have got this picture that getting a casual job in Britain/Ireland during the turist period should be rather easy. I've got some experience on working in a hotel and speak decent English, however, I can't work for more than a couple of months because of my studies. What about really short term jobs, i.e. helping at the hostel in exchange for free accomodation? How common is this in Britain?

Thirdly, share your opinion on "What's the best guidebook for Britain&Ireland?" I've sampled the Lonely Planet version as well as the Let's Go one and Rough Guides in my local library. So far I think Let's Go will be my pick because of the emphasis on the budget, but how up to date is it? At least their website certainly isn't, which kinda makes me suspicious.

Thanks in advance and warm greetings from the cold Finland!
----------------------------------
-An Eye For An Eye Leaves The World Blind-

enginebad

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2007
check out crazyguyonabike.com. there are several tours listed in ireland. you'll have to do a little bit of searching, but shouldn't have much trouble finding them.

Anttipop

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 26th, 2007
Thanks a lot man, that site is great! Good tour journals and all kinds of cycling info. I booked my flight just a moment ago and feel so excited.
----------------------------------
-An Eye For An Eye Leaves The World Blind-

Return to UK & Ireland Travel