Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Long-Term in Abu Dhabi

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: EFL, Abu Dhabi, Long-term stay
  • Added on: August 22nd, 2010
So I'm beginning my research into destinations in Abu Dhabi, where I may be moving in January to teach EFL. But I'm finding that nearly all info and blogs about UAE plant themselves firmly in Dubai. So...intrepid Booties, have any of you been to Abu Dhabi (city/area/emirate), and what would you tell someone who was moving there?

Benna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2010
before going there to stay, i would say that you go there for a tour and check things out so you know where to buy or rent a house and to understand the layout of the city to make living easy, abu dhabi is a good place with its beautiful homes, malls, cimemas and close proximity to dubai, al ain and ajman where you can go for your weekends, living in abu dhabi is simple and fun and you got lots to do and see - if you cannot afford to go there beforehand, i would suggest that you get a tour of the city when you reach there and stay in a hotel apartment as they are cheaper and as good as homes, they will offer you a chance to explore the city and enjoy your trip, you can also hire a car till you buy one.
I love traveling. I am currently working on two websites Dubai Fun Holidays and SwissFunHolidays.com

circusoflife

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 6th, 2010
Did a self day tour of Abu Dhabi in September. DIdn't like Abu Dhabi at all...very sprawled and city layout unappealing to me. Sufficient bus services to get around though.

Unpleasantly hot too...went to Marina Mall...which is a good place to view the corniche / city area.

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 2nd, 2013
I live in Abu Dhabi now. One of the perks of life here is housing is (usually - well, mine is) paid for by your employer. The city is sort of on a grid, but with the constant construction, the grid is losing out. Get to know the main streets (by number AND name) and try to identify locations by landmark. It's a lot more organised a city than its glamorous brother down the road, Dubai, but it's also lacking some of the superlatives Dubai has striven to build (biggest, widest, most expensive, first, etc). It's a pretty easy place to live and work, depending on your background. English is widely spoken, though it's mostly broken English, and the people are mostly quite lovely and generous. Yes, it's hot here. (Well, not right now. Right now it's "winter" and rainy and foggy and coldish.) Yes, the unspoken rules of society are different. But if you can let go of your notions of how things are supposed to go, you may find yourself quite pleasantly surprised by this place.

Return to Middle East Travel